Photo engrave demo?

From all the posts and all the replies, the only item I see that differentiates the basic from the pro from a software perspective is the pass-through function. All the others are identical. The Pro offers better continuous runtime and the basic, and the “upgrade optics” you can take to be whatever you want, since I have no idea what that actually means.

2 Likes

They don’t have the same features. The Pro model has an infinite pass through slot, upgraded optics and better cooling which give you a much higher duty cycle.

Other than features directly related to pass through, there won’t be any that take advantage of hardware that isn’t available on the Basic. Most of the innovative software features rely on the camera and clever software, both of which are present in the same capacity in both models. Any software limitations created for the Basic will be artificial - the Basic doesn’t have a less capable camera and it’s registration related features shouldn’t be any less capable either.

In addition to this, the Basic and Pro have been marketed so far as having the same software. There is a list of differences on the Tech Specs pages and no software differences are mentioned, and in interviews the clever registration functions have been described as available even on a basic without the pass through slot. The only thing that I think would be “completely inappropriate” would be if this turns out to be false after we have paid our money and waited a while year for the product.

2 Likes

Probably best to keep this in the other thread where you’ve been asking about it.

1 Like

Dan, the latter. I recall reading a 256-level engrave is what we’ll be able to do. As such, I imagine an 8-bit grayscale raster image will utilize variable power levels to engrave that image. Please confirm. Also please provide any real-world Glowforge examples of that if they exist. If they don’t exist, can you have somebody produce one?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Yes, 256 level engrave. Our bitmap rasterization code isn’t polished to the point where we’re showing it yet.

8 Likes

Well, thanks for confirming. Disappointing to hear it’s not ready for prime time yet. But, hey… You’ve still got 77 days, 7 hours, 3 minutes until shipping. No pressure.

4 Likes

You’re using a different calendar than I am… :grinning: but I am being optimistic.
and if it doesn’t ship, I’ll just say I was counting down to my daughters 16th birthday :innocent:

5 Likes

Yes. Poor March folks. We shouldn’t rub it in, I guess. Well, we are all in the same boat for now.

1 Like

Keep your stick on the ice, I’m rootin’ for ya. We’re all in this together.

6 Likes