Photo engraving paper with more contrast

Spending several grand to avoid a $25-50 item is not exactly a geico moment. (just joking).

I wondered the same as Chris, because to me you were going backwards.
I draw on paper, then print it on wood, plastic, whatever will burn.
In your defense ā†’ paper burns too, soā€¦

Gorgeous! Iā€™d love to know more about the process. As a paper crafter, I could see use cases for it.

3 Likes

The answer is always ā€œBecause I can!ā€.

14 Likes

Basically I just brought the image into Photoshop and in this case it was already black and white but if it wasnā€™t id convert it. Then up the contrast and I also used the brightness to bring the brightest highlights all the way up to white. After that I converted the image to half tones using the pixelate filter. If you want I can give the settings for that but they will depend heavily on the image size of the image being engraved. The paper I got at Michaelā€™s itā€™s a bit thicker than regular printer paper but not quite construction paper.

2 Likes

i think it may be worthwhile to experiment with different papers. just like wood, papers have different composition to them. not as extreme, but there will be differences. using, say, a textured watercolor paper vs a heavy coated cardstock should give very different results.

1 Like

I agree and I plan to try out more paper types. I just had a lot of this from a different project and it turns out to work pretty well. The paper is made of two layers and Iā€™m curious if changing the bottom layer will make any difference.

you can engrave through to the bottom layer if itā€™s a two-tone sheet. whether you can get a clean burn on the color belowā€¦ thatā€™s another question. iā€™ve cut through two-layer paper, but i havenā€™t tried to engrave it. maybe i should try. i have a bunch of different colors of the neenah columns duplex paper.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I did the top is white and bottom is black so at itā€™s darkest points in the engrave it letā€™s the black show through. The trick was getting the image to come out clean which is where converting it to halftones comes in. You can see on the left what a normal engraving on the two tone paper looks like.

2 Likes

that makes sense, especially with black. but there are duplex card stocks with lots of different color combos. i have red/white, green/white, black/white, black/tan, and probably a few more. so the thing to test is would the engrave still leave it black with char? would it show some color, but with black char mixed in? or could you get it clean enough to show color neatly (i doubt it)?

1 Like

Itā€™s worth a shot. I donā€™t know how big a different it would make but I actually made this out of two different sheets spary glued together. If you see it in person the fact that it has a full papers worth of thickness to the top sheet gives the engraveing a 3d effect so I want to try more layers or paper thickness on the top layer and see how that does.

1 Like

If youā€™re sticking with 2-play, would it be easier to just engrave the top ply, and then adhere it to a bottom ply afterwards? Seems like it would be way less time finagling settings to get through the top ply and not impact the second ply?

It took a few trys but I got there, atleast for the paper I was using. Full speed, EXACTLY 53 power. The power is very important too low and you donā€™t get enough black and the image looks washed out. Too much even a little too much and it burns the black paper underneath or removes too much white too early and you loose a lot of detail in the darks. Itā€™s basically like finding the correct exposure on a camera.

2 Likes

this could work with simple shapes. but once you have a shape inside of a shape, that doesnā€™t work any more. think about the letter ā€œeā€, for example.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly why I just glued the two pieces before hand. In a halftone image as the gradient shifts darker the dots grow bigger and more concentrated, this means that there isnā€™t any of the top sheet attached to anything around it which means that if the top layer didnā€™t have anything holding those dots in place they would just scatter or fall off the bottom layer. When I get home Iā€™m going to set up my camera with my macro lens and take some really close up shots to help show how the halftone works. Or you could Google it.

1 Like

i would look into some of the duplexed card stocks. itā€™s not always easy to get small quantities, but you wouldnā€™t have to use adhesives and that may actually help the engraving process be cleaner.

http://glodan.com/ is a good place to find smaller quantities. youā€™re at the mercy of what they have in stock, but they have a lot of things that normally are only sold in press sheets (25x35 to 28x40) or are normally only sold in large quantity (or both).

1 Like

Actually thatā€™s pretty good. I had wondered about using photoshop of the halftoning myself.

TBH Iā€™ve never been tempted by engraving photos up because I always thought they were a poor way of showing an image, but your technique really ups the quality.

Good experimenting, I look forward to seeing some more

2 Likes

it really depends on the image and the substrate. some photos (generally high contrast with lots of good black and good white) are better than things with tons of gradient grays and/or lots of mid tones.

really good photos on the right substrate can look very cool. some of the phototile stuff has been great. that that buffalo photo someone else engraved on wood here recently was really cool, too.

Moving this to Beyond the Manual per forum guidelines and to keep the FNLs happy. :slight_smile:

I tried to post my photos here but it wonā€™t take. I started reading this whole topic today and used the information to successfully use a picture of my linoleum print that was originally `12x19. I successfully engraved a white inexpensive card, not thick, with a beautiful impression of my print, now measuring 2inx3in. No evidence shows on the back of the card that the card has been enhanced, and thats where I wanted to land.
Speed 640
power 25 LPI225 paper ht. 0.01

I wanted to thank everyone who shared their trials and successes on this subject. I needed the info to make this a success.

2 Likes

I tried the settings mentioned above, but the engraving was not dark or deep enough. I do not have a photo, sorry. I started playing with the settings and depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
I have used Speed 700, power of 40 - 60, LPI 225, same paper ht. 0.01 this was for the fonts used. The diagram settings changed from Score at speed 500, power 25, to speed 400, power 10.