Photos and video from Seattle Maker Faire 2016

the pro 4 i7 can run fusion 360 well enough could wouldn’t use it for a car work load as my 8 hour job. The i7 book with dGPU has no issue with fusion work. That being said if your going to go hard core cad you should get a real workstation.

The price is very hi for the hardware regardless and had a good 6 months of bad intel drivers but otherwise I like the devices.

Some back ground I manage 14k~ or so desktops’ with around 25 different models. Handle sing basic office work to insanely advanced predictive modeling for financial things (intentionally vague). So yes part of my day job is judging the appropriate work load for given devices

4 Likes

@Shell and I both sport Surface Books, much to our mac-using colleague’s chagrin.

After a week of travel + nonstop maker faire all weekend, I should not be trusted with saying anything important. Ignore what I say, trust the website.

Ignore what I say, trust the website.

OK that one’s true - it looks like giant elbow macaroni, if elbow macaroni looked cool.

Can’t speak for @Shell, but my SB’s power management is totally busted; it likes to turn itself on in the middle of the night so that in the morning my shoulder bag’s hot and my battery’s dead. This is likely the universe getting revenge on me, since I was the program manager for power management in Windows 98/2000… and last I heard that code’s still in use.

They are very much injection molded, and we believe they are final. (Always a chance of discovering new problems, but they’ve been unchanged AFAIK for a while now).

23 Likes

Cool!

2 Likes

Same problem I had. Now I always hibernate instead of sleep. With the SSD, it wakes up just as fast.

3 Likes

@dan Same on my Surface Book. Went into settings and swapped Sleep out for Hibernate on the power options. Same thing on closing the lid etc.

Never understood why anyone uses sleep with the power drain vs Hibernate.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Thanks @dan, I have been looking at a Wacom offering and was wondering.
Great demo with the bracelet! You and @Shell are cool under fire.

4 Likes

We thought the same thing. I was impressed that you came back to finish the discussion on how lasers work despite sidetracks, and how you stuck with the copper cutting question through distractions. I’d have forgotten my name if I were presenting with all that was going on there.

5 Likes

15 Likes

@pdobrien, it was so great to meet you in person this weekend & your pendant turned out pretty cool. This was my FAVORITE event we’ve done so far (despite the power troubles on Sunday) for a couple reasons.

1. The new prints we’re doing are so darn fun and just really - in my opinion - do Glowforge a little more justice that a trace print alone.

2. I saw SO MANY Glowforge owners (and ya’ll are SO COOL) and other various friends/former coworkers from the Seattle area.

3. Last but not least, my parents came on Saturday and saw Glowforge in person for the first time, watched the talk, and met Dan. They are both teachers, and my mom teaches 4th grade in a low-income district and is looking for creative ways to incorporate STEM into her curriculum even more. I definitely want to get her a Glowforge soon!

(Sidenote: I’m pleased to see I went nearly completely unphotographed this weekend, even thought I was there the entire time. )

PSS - here’s the mini-frame that my boyfriend Kyle and I made at Laser Thursday last week when we were all cranking through the Maker Faire print projects to get them just right. Those are dino-robots, and we’re making dino faces, in case you’re wondering. And yes, I lost the little bow-tie connector pieces for the top, I cheated and used glue. But this frame WOULD hold together without glue, if I hadn’t lost them…which is why we printed extras to have on-hand at the show in case you’re a butterfingers like me. :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Dino Faces are awesome! Beats my sad face this weekend as I was drenched by the rain in an unflattering bridesmaid dress with make up dripping down my face and running around trying to get all the guests some umbrellas. Pretty sure I should only look like that on Halloween!

11 Likes

I just poured through all the pictures and videos I took on Saturday hoping to prove you wrong. But somehow you managed to evade all of them! That’s talent, you must teach me this skill!
It was great to meet you in person! thanks for letting me steal a couple moments of your time, you guys were so busy! I was happy to see so many people interested in the Glowforge though!

7 Likes

I was wondering how that went. Bummer about the weather; still, longer term, you probably made the right decision.

4 Likes

Bros BFF before Ho’s Forges right?

3 Likes

Cat Box!!! :heart:

2 Likes

In the last picture, the shiny head with a black coat and a bag strap on his shoulder up by the running machines is me. My wife is the attractive redhead watching her design being “printed.” The fellow in the blue shirt across from me is the one that brought up these templates being ideal for parties. I think you captured the moment I was asking if these templates might be available in the catalogue.

3 Likes
  1. Does your Surface Book have the separate GPU?
  2. Would you re-buy a Surface Book for your next laptop?
  3. If so, would you get the same thing, higher tier or lower tier?
  4. If not would you get some other Windows Laptop? Macbook? or something like a Surface Pro?

Sorry for all the ?s but I’m in the market for a laptop and was seriously considering the Surface Book. I just have to justify the cost.

3 Likes

You want to know the irony asking @dan these questions? Google - “Sparkbuy”… :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This was experienced in our fleet with both the surface books and surface pro 4s. Our findings ate multi fold and I glassed over with just saying months of driver issues.
Wake from sleep causing a blue screen or random reboot well going into sleep turned out to be a wife driver problem - resolved with monthly firmware updates fixed around Jan 16
Closing lid driving home and the thing over heating on the driver seat with 100% cpu- turned out to be hello going crazy - resolved in aug with 1607 win 10 build and newest drivers
Intel HD graphics freeze and bible telling you it stopped responding but has been recovered - resolved in July intel video update

Still outstanding is battery life well in sleep is less then expected. Still need to do more testing but as a enterprise we pulled out on the surface book and surface pro4 as the issues where taking to long to resolve. We are transitioning presently to x2 1012. Hover these devices are scoped form office productivity only as they are a m7.

Over all I like the devices but they cost to much and as good of performance can be found at a lower cost

3 Likes

…flower deliveries.

15 Likes

darn auto correct wifi

3 Likes