Photos and video from Seattle Maker Faire 2016

Son sent a picture of an item, but I couldn’t judge it’s size so I typed “put a coin in the picture for scale” and auto correct spelled corn without my noticing.
Within a minute he sent another pic with a corn kernel in it.
Puzzled, I then reread my message…

16 Likes

Sent an email to my boss last week in which the hellchecker (sic) replaced “WFH” (Working From Home) to …wait for it… “WTF.”

Imagine getting an email from an employee with WTF as the subject line… :unamused:

18 Likes

Haha haha!! Whew!

4 Likes

yeah, we had a lot of problems with the surface book and stopped buying them - but almost zero problems with the surface pro 4.

2 Likes

I agree. My SP3 had lots of problems, but the Surface Pro 4 seems to have fixed most of them (except the awake from sleep problem). The biggest improvement IMHO is the pen behavior, which I use a lot.

1 Like

“I regret that I have but one like to give…”

13 Likes

Hi guys!! I have been craaaazy busy lasering away so I haven’t seen all of these lovely posts! Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments, it was so great to meet all of you! These demos are crazy but fun!

As for the surface, my answers wouldn’t be super technical. it’s great for every day illustrator and Photoshop use but isn’t seamless with high end 3D programs, if I did more 3D work I would go higher tier but it’s great for what I need to do. My set up at the office is the surface with one of the smaller Wacom cintiqs attached, because I like the more sensitive (i.e. More levels) pressure that the wacoms have. The downside is there is a weird illustrator display bug where I have to have tiny tiny text to be able to swap screens, it’s also a little cranky when you unplug any additional monitors and will occasionally wipe out your illustrator preferences.

We actually used that setup at the Makerfaire in the Bay Area, got the very complicated set up hooked up, and then the AV guy accidentally knocked out my display cable and all my presets where gone!! If you want to see my ‘quietly freaking out and trying not panic face’ watch that demo. :smiley:

This is a long way of saying that we used the surface for this demo for ease of AV setup even tho it’s a little uncomfortable for me to use organically because I am so reliant on my Wacom. I hope that rambling was helpful. :smiley:

On a fun note, I actually built myself a lasered laptop stand for this specific demo. I am hoping to put pictures of the prototype and the super fancy version up here soon so you guys can see it!

15 Likes

I had been looking closely at the wacom cantiq. Are you happy with it ?

2 Likes

I love it so much. It completes me. Okay just kidding. I have owned or worked on almost every iteration of the Wacom line. It’s an industry standard in the video game world for digital illustrators. (That was my field before I became The Lady of Lasers).

If you can afford it, go for one of the ones bigger than mine and set it up with a high end tower instead of a laptop. My preference hands down is the 22HD. I loooove working on that Wacom. The 27" one is bananas tho and overkill for all but the elite concept artists out there. The 13" is great but the ergonomics are a little uncomfortable, because you have to lean over it.

Oh and avoid the the cintiq companion like the plague. I was super excited to buy one the second it came out because of the promise of a laptop with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. It didn’t deliver.

9 Likes

your not alone, we call this the scaling issue. in some of my programs at work if I have to write code it so microscope I end up just using one of my other computers. also switching between the surfacebook and a non 4k display yields some funny results. like the Skype for business IM window will take up 50% of a 21.5 inch screen because it gets supersized. and if you remote desktop into anything that is not server 2012r2 or win 10 then everything is 4x smaller then it should :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you for the inside perspective Shell, your experience carries so much more weight than the slick sales pitches.

I worked with an early Wacom tablet way back in the Pentium days, and almost wore a hole in it! It was so much easier than a mouse for a guy who grew up with a pencil.

These newer high end offerings have me drooling, so your opinion is greatly appreciated! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

We got my son the big one for Christmas last year. It’s enormous. He designs flash art for tattoo studios so the large size helps get life size art right. He loves it. Has it setup like an easel. Says it’s made a ton of difference in the number of iterations he needs.

5 Likes

I find that MS Office Excel and Word scale correctly if using a SB with a lower-res second screen, however I get problems with PowerPoint. This solution I found online works well, but sometimes ‘breaks’ following a update, so you have to reapply:

http://crsouza.com/2015/08/20/powerpoint-is-huge-on-a-second-monitor/

Not sure if changing the manifest file for other applications like AI will work.

I solved the scaling problem in Adobe Reader (menus too large on the second screen), by turning off Auto-Detect scaling in Preferences/General/Basic Tools.

3 Likes