Picture hanger for wood panels

I made a simple picture hanger generator, it works well on wood panels. You can change the hole size, countersink and distance for the fasteners. I like to do a heavy engrave (900/full) on 1/8" birch plywood for the countersink. It’s made with two layers:
GFforumPost

I like using these tiny #4 x 1/2" wood screws:

Here I’m showing one mounted and one from the back, the keyhole is big enough for a #6 screw, though I mostly use nails when hanging these on drywall:

One minor downside (or feature) is that it is better to make a spacer to keep the picture parallel to the wall. One benefit of this is having the panel float a little bit off the wall which looks neat, another is that it gives you an excuse to put your logo on it :wink::

Hope this is useful.

75 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of hangers here including some I came up with and thought the subject was exhausted.
Well I was wrong, excellent design and execution, and I especially like the counter sinks.

12 Likes

A really nice addition to the library of practical cuts. Thank you.

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing this design. I’m going to make custom frames for cloth samples I’ve woven, and use these on the back.

7 Likes

That’s pretty cool, thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks for the share. I like the float effect!

4 Likes

Interesting! How thick is the wood panel? Most of what I use is too thin to hold a screw but could be quite strong with glue, especially if there is a shallow engrave to place it in.

4 Likes

Thank you for the share, I really like the design.

2 Likes

Very nice design … thank you for sharing!!

3 Likes

Thank you! This is very nicely designed! Love the recessed screws.

3 Likes

Excellent! Definitely useful, well though-out design. Thanks very much for sharing it!

2 Likes

do you have an Etsy shop? I know the file is free… just wondering?

1 Like

How do I save this file?

2 Likes

If you go to this link: Picture hangers and scroll down past the instructions you’ll see the spot where you can make the changes, and there is a blue Download SVG button you can hit to get the file. No need to sign in or open an account, looks like this:
howto
:grinning:

7 Likes

I mostly use 1/2" wood panels, but you are right, it doesn’t feel like it’s suitable for thinner stuff.
I was wondering if you could get away with mouting it to 1/4" panels but it’s very close with the screws it had at hand (1/2" and 1/4"):

Maybe with a deeper engrave and the 1/4" screw, or cutting one layer of the hanger out of 1/4" ply and the other out of 1/8 ply would get you there.

4 Likes

OMG that’s so kind of you to say, thank you!

2 Likes

I don’t think I would trust any of that :grimacing: I have drilled short holes for 1/8" or 3/32" magnets as box closures and had them held mechanically by wood glue, so I would trust a 1/4" bolt using the wood glue to hold the threads as it would twist out if you wanted to remove it at some point. but unless I expected to want to remove it I would just use wood glue from the start I think. Putting that much pressure near the upper surface is just daring the tip to peek out and mess up the artwork there.

4 Likes

Excellent and very useful and small project! Thanks for sharing!!!

1 Like

Very nice! Thank you for the share!

1 Like