Pizza: Your favorite kinds and your favorite locations to eat them at

I must admit to being a pizza snob and get a bit rankled when I see things like a cheeseburger pizza. I don’t do too many exotic flavors on mine, but appreciate when certainly flavors seem to pop out in a way that otherwise wouldn’t. Hence my Hawaiian pizza. I always use fresh pineapple, fresh grated ginger, and spam and a little coconut mixed in with the goat cheese. The sauce gets cilantro instead of basil. I don’t want to appear to engage in cultural appropriation. Heck I’ve never been to Hawaii. But I think the flavors are pretty good and you might never get this combo to work otherwise.

5 Likes

I used to be that way about white clam, potatoes, bbq chicken and tuna with capers :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve made peace with Hawaiian and bbq chicken. Now I have to add spam and coconut to my horrors list :grinning:

7 Likes

While visiting Naples, I once happened into a neighborhood restaurant far away from the tourist/military areas (no english on the menus and my Italian was/is all but non-existent). Ordered a Peroni and the “special” pizza.

The pizza was great, but the mushrooms seemed a bit salty… After a few bites, the salt was overwhelming, so I decided to remove them. Imagine my surprise when I flipped the first one over and eight tiny tentacles splayed out! My first (and only) experience with roasted marinated baby octopi. :octopus: :pizza: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

My dad had a pizza shop / restaurant for 30 years, where I also worked for most of my “free time” during those years. It was…THE BEST. Seriously, not just saying that…

6 Likes

I love the marinated frutta di mare. The baby octopus are quite delicious. My first experience with them was on a sandwich. The school had packed lunch bags for a day trip and I opened mine on the ferry to Capri. Was a bit surprised to find that it wasn’t just egg salad, but had some baby octopus mixed in. Tasted good with a Peroni. Although I generally drank Nastro Azuro back then and called it “Nasty Blue”. Drank it ironically of course.[quote=“nunzioc, post:24, topic:3381”]
My dad had a pizza shop
[/quote]

I have to do some time in a pizza shop. I can’t call myself a pizzaiolo until I can get that dough worked by hand in under a minute.

3 Likes

I am just like you only some times I change from Chicago pan pizza to thin crust.

But the thing that surprised me most of a pizzeria was to see that they used this type of boxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvpOI_9hwvU

3 Likes

The one thing I never learned was to spin dough. I wish I had.

7 Likes

I can do that! I worked in a pizza place for 4-5 years (first job) right out of high school.

So aside from the wood-fired, artisinal pizza that I mentioned previously… working in a pizza place (especially because it was a mom&pop and NOT Dominos or Pizza Hut), has ruined mass-market pizza for me. I can eat it, but Little Caesar’s is the same as pizza hut is the same as Dominos to me. I do NOT like Papa Johns at all. Anyway, I had freedom to make what I wanted at the place I worked, so I made myself a LOT of pizza. Sadly, no mass-market has ever lived up to the pizzas I could make myself.

9 Likes

My wife and I make a thin crust rye pizza dough - she mixes, I roll, we bulk freeze them. It’s amazing.

13 Likes

I will totally admit to being a pizza snob! That being said, my favorite delivery pizza is an extra-cheese Hawaiian from Dominos haha. I suppose I’m not snobby in terms of toppings (except for BBQ chicken pizza, I just can’t lol) but rather in terms of taste- life is too short for cardboard pizza. Really can’t go wrong with any pizza in Italy, and here in the states there’s a family-owned restaurant that my parents have been going to since before I was born and we still go to now 24 years later- their pizza is sooo good.

4 Likes

My go to delivery pizza is Dominos thin crust. I am willing to say it’s actually pretty good. A really nice crispy and flaky crust.

Another place worth checking out if you are ever in the SF Bay Area is a brew pub in Hayward known as Buffalo Bills. They’ve got burgers and other things of course. But I always get pizza because they are quite extraordinary.

3 Likes

If I’m not going to make it myself, and can’t make it to a pizzeria with an actual brick oven to cook it, then I will always get Pappa Murphey’s. Best “Deliver it yourself” pizza out there. And no, I don’t mind cooking it myself, 15 minutes is a small price to pay for good fresh from the oven pizza.

5 Likes

When all this Glowforge craziness has died down a bit, we should hang out… and eat pizza. :smiley:

4 Likes

I live in Canada but once or twice a year I head to Chicago to visit my grandma… Every time i pick up 4-10 frozen Giordano’s and fill my freezer with them. It’s amazing how fresh they taste when baked! 99% the same as fresh. :smiley:

10 Likes

Love to make homemade pizza on my Traeger wood pellet grill. Nothing like wood smoke flavor😋
Otherwise I prefer thin crust. We have Cici’s pizza that both my sons love…its ok, I like the spinach thin crust and the veggie with garlic on a thin crust. They had a BBQ pork pizza that was quite yummy but it was a limited time thing…:sleepy:!!
I’m far from vegetarian but I hate the grease from pepperoni…lol
My fav toppings are mushrooms, black olives and canadian bacon. Although I’ve done crab, artichoke hearts and fresh spinach and mushrooms but no one else will eat it so I dont make it often…lol

7 Likes

How hot does your Traeger get? I’ve gott a Pit Boss and on high I get 450-500. Certainly hot enough to cook a pizza but nothing like a wood fired oven. I’ll have to give baking pizza on it a try.

2 Likes

It gets about that hot…I use a pizza stone, preheat it for 15 mins in it then slide the pizza straight on. Cooks great and gives a nice smoky flavor.
I also did Christmas morning quiche last year and it was phenomenal!!

5 Likes

I didn’t start eating pizza until I was 14 or 15. I was a weird kid. Now my favorite pizza topping is sauerkraut with American bacon. I think perhaps I grew into a weird adult. But it’s seriously delicious.

4 Likes

Love bacon AND sauerkraut…maybe I should try…and maybe some sliced bratwurst too😋

2 Likes

Ok, you both got me going. I do a reuben dip but I use home cured and smoked pastrami. I think I can redo this for a pizza topping.

5 Likes