Pizza: Your favorite kinds and your favorite locations to eat them at

Oh yum!! My son likes gyro meat on his all meat pizza also including bacon, pepperoni, sausage (both country and italian), ham and hamburger…lol

3 Likes

:grinning: Me too. I didn’t like cheese (still don’t eat it unless it’s melted on a pizza or Whiz on a Philly Cheesesteak). Now I’m a wood fired brick oven pizza afficiando.

4 Likes

Love my Traeger!

Depending on the weather mine’s been over 650 before. Doesn’t happen as much after moving to WA though.

1 Like

Homemade pastrami is on my list!

1 Like

In the summer the Traeger can get pretty hot, but in the winter maybe 400-450

An alternative to the wood fired oven (or even a pellet burning Traeger) is a Big Green Egg or one of the other ceramic cookers. You can get those more than hot enough for a good 650-700 pizza cooking. Let it heat up and keep the plate setter & ceramic pizza stone in there for a half hour or more to soak up the heat. Then you can get a pie to cook in 3-4 minutes almost as good as a brick oven (the oven has more thermal mass which helps crisp the crust instead of cooling off when the relatively cold pie is placed on it and will also recover quicker in between pies).

I’ll be cooking the Thanksgiving bird in the brick oven next week - my wife hates the smell of turkey roasting the next day so I cook it outside now :slight_smile: That was actually one of my use cases - had to fit a 25 lb turkey through the door. I helped a buddy build one and when he went to slide the turkey in it was about 3" too tall - I learned :smile:

2 Likes

Did a small turkey last year on the Traeger and it was amazing!! Smoked it for a few hours first.
Juicy and very flavorful😋

I smoked my turkey last year as well. I have the tiny Traeger, so I had to spatch-cock my turkey to make it fit. I think it’s my favorite way to make turkey now and I’ll be doing one this year as well!

2 Likes

I can get to 550 on a hot day but this is Minnesota, we don’t get a lot of those.

I’ve got friends with Kamados that really love them but I don’t want to fiddle with my smoker. Call it cheating but I like setting my temp electronically and not having to worry. I might have to add pellets if it’s a really long session.

I have a gas grill that I do all my grilling on and usually just use the PitBoss for smoking. I’ve tried to use it for searing but I find with it being indirect heat, even 500 doesn’t give a good sear or work well for things like burgers.

2 Likes

Traegers are made just down the road from where I live…about 5 miles. :relaxed:

3 Likes

I have a Big Green Egg and a ceramic pizza fixture and have never used it for pizza. I have wanted to try it, but since I have the brick oven, I save the Egg for grilling or smoking.

I am pretty traditional when it comes to roasting turkey. I do love smoked turkey but for Thanksgiving it has to be roasted so there is gravy. It’s all about the gravy. I make noodles and it’s my favorite part of a Thanksgiving meal.

3 Likes

Searing works if you have a grill grate…sear them on high with lid on then cook with the lid down.

They work great together!

3 Likes

Ditto. But it’s got to be really roasted (450-475F) not baked at 325 or 350. Keeps the turkey from drying out and gets a really nice roasted flavor.

I smoke them all the time in the Egg for sandwiches and stuff during the rest of the year. I use a BBQ Guru for all sub-500F temp control on the Egg so I can set it & forget it (otherwise I’m always tempted to peek when I’m fussing with the dampers :slightly_smiling_face:).

2 Likes

Do you have a Pizza Steel? I love mine.

http://modernistcuisine.com/2013/04/build-the-perfect-pizza-in-12-steps/

2 Likes

Can you get me a bigger one for cheap?!?

(My bird from last year - barely fits, even with the backbone removed!)

9 Likes

@marmak3261 @jamesdhatch how long have you guys had the Big Green Egg, and which size? I just saw two different sizes for sale in Avignon last Friday, but haven’t had time to look at many reviews yet. They seem a little pricy (could be import tax) but could be worth it if I could smoke my own American-style bacon! And bake pizza, haha. Would you recommend it for a rather small, third-floor stone balcony?

6 Likes

co worker has an egg with the computer temperature controlled accessories love the thing uses it 2-3 times a week for over a year so the noviltye is not wearing off he even used it feet of snow. Be brings us in food damn tazty

2 Likes

The people I know with a BGE swear by it.

2 Likes

I have a large BGE. It is so good for both low and slow and for high heat. For long term smoking it works, but reloading with charcoal is problematic since I have the ceramic insert in to hold a water pan and deflect the heat.

I like a dedicated smoker because I usually do a lot more meat. this will do two ribs with rib rack., but this works for smaller batches.

3 Likes