Playing with 3D engrave

The one you chose is very popular. I also found a Chinese depth map site that had more then you could scroll before giving up and managed to find a few that came out great.

One disclaimer. When I was into a 3D phase, I noticed you needed to do a hard cleaning every 6 to 10 designs, depending on their overall dimensions.
It is probably the messiest thing you can do on these machines.

4 Likes

It works best on hard woods like Walnut, and even better in Acrylic for not messing the machine too badly. MDF, or Oak might resemble what you are talking about however. I speak from considerable experience on this.

4 Likes

walnut it really depends on the specific walnut species. i have some walnuts that burn fairly clean. but i’ve had a couple of others that were quite resiny.

3 Likes

Boil it down and make some syrup :wink:

2 Likes

I suppose that is true of most species.
I have not seen that in Walnut

1 Like

I was wondering if you could share the settings you used. I have a design I would like to try but I haven’t gotten the setting right. Thanks.

1 Like

Nothing custom, just the built in settings for 3D engrave (except 450LPI). 3D carving sort of runs on autopilot since that’s the whole point, is the setting vary moment to moment to do the variable depth. I’d do select hardwood maple as the material (since it was).

4 Likes

Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ve done not as intense 3D engraves

but I sealed the char in. The box is upside-down with the lid supported by an easel.
Not my best work but these paid the :glowforge: off. Every project I’ve learned, and you all have been so very patient.

It’s basswood btw.

7 Likes

And an 8 sided piece as well! a but of playing in Gimp to lighten the middle and darken the sides and round would be easy.

Fantastic piece! but needs a top 3d carved to match :grin:

4 Likes

12 sided, and yes I agree but the customer said and regrettably I quote,
“I want this exactly on the lid and something -hawaiian- on the sides”

I wanted to pull my hair out, but I delivered it with a smile and got $ for it, and also about 15 additional sales when everyone else saw it.

7 Likes

Something like this,

that comes from …
https://www.textures.com/

8 Likes

That’s just freaking awesome.
:heart:

2 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

Will that process remove painted surfaces?

Wow you have more patience than me.

I can just imagine the lovechild of pool algae and Deepwater Horizon.

1 Like

Already 20 year old technology they are still “experimenting” with,

Could you post a link to this site … much appreciated

Amazing

1 Like