PLEASE HELP! "An error occurred on your Glowforge. Please refresh your browser before printing. It may also help to turn your Glowforge off and then on again."

Hi. I am trying to engrave metal bull clips with a thick spray paint coating. The first one turned out great, but the subsequent runs did not, despite the settings being the same. And I keep getting this error notice each time I prep the file to print…
“An error occurred on your Glowforge. Please refresh your browser before printing. It may also help to turn your Glowforge off and then on again.”

Initial Settings that worked:
700/30/350/ Manual (set focus)
-Breadcrumb tray was removed
-Material set to: Use Uncertified Material
-Material Thickness set to: 0.5
-File Type: SVG

I’ve tried several variations on settings after the 2nd & 3rd run didn’t work. Alas, nothing I’ve tried has rendered the results of the 1st engraving that turned out perfect.

Any ideas out there on what’s going on here?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlcoobb9i77x9bv/2023%2004.18%20error%20msg_engrave%20coated%20metal.pdf?dl=0

With the honeycomb tray out, is the surface to be engraved within the 1/2" focus range of the lens? The top of your item must be between 1.5" and 2" from the floor of the Glowforge, and your best outcome would probably be to use the set focus tool. Make sure your item is properly placed, and make sure that the red beam for focusing lands squarely on the material. Depending on the color of your item, you may get better focus results by putting a small piece of masking tape on the item and focusing at that point.

8 Likes

Thank you for the helpful input. I really appreciate it!

1 Like

What if you put something under the paper clip to make it flat. That way when you used the set focus command ihe camera on the glowforge would be more accurate and the printing surface would be more level.

2 Likes

I’ve moved this post over to Beyond the Manual which is the only section where we’re allowed to post settings.

2 Likes

Iv’e been getting the same error message since last night. I checked out the status page and saw that there was a partial service outage, could this be the problem?

Nope. There has not been a partial outage that lasted since last night. Are you trying to print without the honeycomb tray? Have you tried loading and printing a different file?

2 Likes

The photos look like you might be experiencing inconsistent focusing, which will indeed cause the “skewed printing” mentioned. In addition to using the Set Focus command directly on top of the target area on the clip, you might find this tool helpful when setting up jobs without the crumbtray:

The error message is one I associate with mixed states between the GF and the browser itself. If you’ve done as it suggests and still get the message, you might try this:

1. Power off your Glowforge
  2. Log out of your GF account in every browser (Chrome, Safari, Edge, Firefox, etc.) on every computer and device you use – desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones – and force close the browser apps.
  3. Power off all the devices and wait at least 30 seconds.
  4. Turn around three times and spit. (Optional)
  5. Power up your devices.
  6. Open the GF app in one browser on one device only.
  7. Power on the GF and give it a good five minutes incase there’s a firmware update pending.
  8. Proceed with your job.

Is this overkill? Almost certainly. Should you do it anyway? Yes! If you’re still not getting the results you expect, try printing the Gift of Good Measure twice – once without the crumbtray at the same height as your clips, and again with the crumbtray installed. Take pictures of both while laying in the GF, noting the date and time, and fire them off to support@glowforge.com

Best of luck!

7 Likes

Great advice, especially #4.

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.