Possible Battery Backup

the 1500 is actually barley big enough for the gf alone never mind filter network equipment and computer. The 1500va is in the range of 700-800 (the one linked is 865w again barley enough to run the gf at peak even if short lived if there is any other load expect fireworks) watts max that alone is the gf peaks. So if your running all the computer and network you could already be using 400 gf now only has 400 left to use peaks at 800 now you have a 1200watt load and blow up your ups. So plan on having it dedicated for the laser only and not even the air filter. Unfortunately ups’s over 1500va are out of most peoples price range

2 Likes

Which would only help if you lost power at that outlet - if the house loses power then the wifi probably goes away too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think that’s the main benefit he’s looking for. Most ups’ also provide line conditioning to protect you from spikes/sags.

3 Likes

fingers crossed the job completed buffering

1 Like

as long as you keep the glowforge powered, the cloud will eventually pick up the job and complete filling the local buffer so holding up wifi and internet is not as important as the glowforge itself.

Though honestly I woudl hope for a time out. if the internet drops and I go to bed without unplugging the glowforge I’d hate to miss a fire.

4 Likes

That is why the link for the “sidecar” which increases the 1500VA to about 4500VA. Since the BR1500G has the expansion port/connection you can get 4500VA for around $325 to $350.

Currently the BR248PG is out of stock, but it comes back.

1 Like

It adds capacity of storage for run time but not of wattage, I have the unit

This is my APC 1500va with only my desktop and monitor on it

so in my case even if I did get the external battery that would only increase run time it would not increase wattage rating. and as 865-648 is 217 there is no way I can run the GF off this UPS even if AC was stable because it still has to process that current and its not rated for it.

I was toying with building a pseudo tesla wall but its to much work finding and testing all the cells to make a DIY tesla wall so more then likely I will have to find a different circuit in my condo as this one has a 5.4a load from the computer and another 10 load from the ac and its only 15a so it trips as it is pretty constantly

2 Likes

Doesn’t the Glowforge require Internet? If the electricity goes down, say in your block, won’t that be down as well?

2 Likes

The key is that it doesn’t loose power in a job. Once it starts the job it can handle a loss of internet but if it looses power its a hard stop and you have re start the job from start vs a pause

4 Likes

Gotcha, thanks.

I believe you can do it over your cellphone as well.

hope it’s a small file and you have unlimited data

Don’t know if it makes a difference but @dan has said they’ve only tasted with sine-wave power. The UPS I have has the ratings but is simulated sine-wave. Of course someone may pop in here and tell us they’re all simulated as its a DC -> AC inherently made difference.
Of course the only things on the backup right now are modem and WiFi so the GF would be okay. I’ve found that comcast generally still has signal during power outages. Just need to keep the modem and router powered.

2 Likes

In my experience, approximated sine wave from an UPS will not disturb most electronic devices. While I know that you have to test it to make sure, I do see that Dan has mentioned some limited testing on an UPS. I run all my computers and printers and internet providing devices on UPSs and none of them have had any issues, so unless the laser has some issue I think you will be fine.

2 Likes

We’ve only tested on “pure sine wave” UPSs, unfortunately.

As long as the Glowforge unit has power it will finish its print in nearly every situation, so I would focus on powering the GF and not the network equipment, computer, etc.

8 Likes

That brings up a good point. @dan, about how much data is transferred to drive, say, a ten minute job? KBs? MBs? GBs?

1 Like

Looks like the APC Smart-UPS line is pure sine wave where the Back-UPS line is approximated.

3 Likes

Yeah… that’s what he said.