Pottstown, PA here...The eagle has landed

Also for rotation. Matching raster orientation and grain sometimes is desirable and sometimes not. Most of the time you want to put the longest section of the engrave horizontally for efficiency’s sake. Sometimes you want to change that up to save materials or to get the raster cross grain to wood.

You can’t rotate at the moment a raster in the GFUI. Most of the time I keep my bitmaps separate and place them in the GFUI, but when precision or rotation is involved, I’ll pop it in the vector.

3 Likes

We’ll see later today! I’ll tag you in the discussion about my trials and tribulations of using PDFs. If I can’t get exactly the cuts I want, at least I can share the info gathered. Sounds like the tests will be helpful to at least one person - you.

Thank you for sharing! Very cool, very exciting!

1 Like

Yeah! I saw that I couldn’t do that last night, but I thought I must be missing something! Thanks for clarifying that.

2 Likes

No worries…MY lack of knowledge is still amazing, too, and I would venture to guess that it will remain that way for quite some time. But then, that’s part of the reason why having a Glowforge is so darned much fun! I’d be more than happy to help in any way I can. I think you will be surprised at how much you really do know…especially from reading on the forum for so long, now. :relaxed:

I have 36" exterior doors - it was no problem. I took it out of the box to carry downstairs though because the interior doors are 32" and I figured there’d be knuckle smacking on doorframes and such.

Grab some Baltic Birch off Amazon - I use the 60 count 12x12s for my classes so I have a ton of it around. Use that to test new stuff so you don’t burn through PG on failed experiments. The PG is great for when you’ve got your design nailed.

Thanks for reminding me! Meant to mention that yesterday. I had no problem at all getting it through my normal size door. (Sorry. I have no idea what the measurement is. I’m gonna call it “standard.”) I mean, I couldn’t hold the handles through the door, but it fit without having to tilt it even a little bit.

2 Likes

Corel X8 makes a ton of difference with the K40. With the GF I’m doing about 50/50 Corel vs Inkscape. Since I teach in Inkscape if it’s not already a CDR file or I don’t already have it open I’ve been tending to use Inkscape over Corel.

Heh… Enough to be dangerous! It’s funny because I think to myself “Oh! Henryhbk mentioned something about this… Xabbess said she did, something, what was it?.. marmak did something really cool like 6 months ago… it was a good trick… I told myself I’d remember that.” So, yeah… I’ve read a lot, but being unable to apply that info until now has caused a bit of a jumble of good and bad ideas.

4 Likes

To help you recall, it probably involved some snark and lasering an absurd food substance… :cold_sweat:

6 Likes

Shoot! I told a co-worker I’d try to etch a picture of someone onto toast last night. Maybe over the weekend.

1 Like

Get used to having a tape measure at hand. Always handy for resizing materials and check if things fit in the bed.

1 Like

Good point! I always have tape measures laying around. (It’s really odd how many we have, and why they’re scattered in several rooms in our house is beginning to puzzle me now that I think about it.) Got my calipers, Gorilla tape, picks, magnets, and acrylic weld all sitting next to the 'forge.

3 Likes

Can’t hate on adobe for that one. Everybody still keeps the big letters in the upper case, above the other case, lower down, where they keep the little letters. The lower case.

1 Like

While I agree to a pt, since I studied art and design, including typography, movable print, etc, I kinda gotta laugh at this, though, coming from a doctor… because you spent many years learning the arcane conventions of medicine, and they make sense to you now, but to the rest of us not so much. Why can’t medicine change all of it’s terms into easily understood modern equivalents?:wink:

2 Likes

Actually we are. There is an enormous push in the medical field to eliminate eponyms and Latin and Greek names for things. All sorts of apothecary notations are now forbidden and many abbreviations are too.

3 Likes

Please keep ctd, my family does not need to see “circleing the drain” in my chart left lieing about. :smile:

3 Likes

So when will q.d., b.i.d., t.i.d., q.i.d., and q_h ctd? I still see those.

1 Like

Yeah that kind of stuff is gone, and the FLK, LOLFDGB, and all the stuff from the 1980s and before are all gone. While I work at “The House of God” the behavior from the book is considered unacceptable (kind of cool to meet most of the characters from the book on a daily basis - one sadly just passed away)

So QD is right out (that’s a joint commission violation), and the others are still OK’ish (well not CTD as above), but on most EHRs now get auto-replaced (you write QID, and the scrip comes out as 4 Times Daily). Too many medical errors based on apothecary notation.

Also CMS has declared many of the diagnosis abbreviations as unbillable (like BRBPR = GI Bleeding with Rectal Bleeding) which quickly eliminates those (since submitting that bill is worth 0, and submitting a bill and getting paid for treating an unbillable thing is federal fraud, that behavior gets stamped out quickly… Also most of the older syndromes are getting renamed with a practical name (so without having to know who Sjogren was you can know what is wrong with the patient)

7 Likes