Power and speed settings

I was reading some older posts and came across questions on power vs speed settings. I may have missed it but not sure if the question had been fully explained.
Both of my lasers came with a database of settings for various materials however they were mostly starting points.
Here is a list of possible starting points for some materials. http://www.laserbits.com/lasersettings.html
As you can see on just the first one, acrylic…raster engraving works best at high speed half power but to cut…its higher power and low speed…faster speed causes more flareups that can damage your optics.
I have my own lists that I have made over the years for each laser (they are different wattage) and have no doubt that shortly after we get our toys :wink:(GFs)
There will be lists specifically for the GF that we can all share.

12 Likes

Thank you to the “Laser Lady”!
Interesting Tables. I was surprised by the low power setting for engraving granite.
Also paid $.99 for the material calculator app there.
Many manufacturers listed in it, of course not the forge, but settings for a 40w should be helpful for a starting point for all the listed materials.
Great post!

5 Likes

Laserbits has been around awhile😀 Trotec and Epilog have good resources on their websites too.
Lol @ laser lady…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I bookmarked the ‘table’ into my GF folder on Safari…and I also bought the app. in spite of the three woeful reviews. I figure for a lousy buck, I can probably find enough useable info. to help me learn. My thanks too, to smcgathyfay aka Laser Lady.

3 Likes

Liking the name Laser Lady…lmao
All because I was refered to in a group as a gentlemen…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I was thinking you were female, but because it’s your son’s (?) photo as the avatar, I think it was misleading. So now, it’s not LOL…but just “LL” ! :relaxed:

1 Like

Ouch. @Xabbess, I know you are probably looking at this on a small screen. Need to zoom in on the avatar. Not even close.

1 Like

I still have guilt…:zipper_mouth:

1 Like

Well yeeesh! I could have sworn she said in another post that it was a photo of her son. So, now…me and printolaser are in the same doghouse? I’m having cataract surgery the day after tomorrow and it sounds like none too soon. Mea Culpa! :flushed: :blush:

1 Like

Lol it was funny…no guilt…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yup my son in his laser cut cool glasses

1 Like

Ok lol not pushing the issue but I am confused. Lady or gentleman? Maybe I misread the posts above

Oh thank you…I have been absolved. And so has my memory. And yes, no wonder you are confused, elsman18…smcgathyfay is female. You didn’t misread anything…it was just a volley of misunderstandings.

3 Likes

Sorry @elsman18. @printolaser asked some questions one evening that seversl of us answered and he said thank you gentlemen. I wrote back that I’m a lady…just teasing him.
Yes…Im a Mom…got three kiddos and a hubby

2 Likes

It’s alright lol it’s really none of my business I was just confused. Thanks for clarifying. I attempt to keep up on the forums but sometimes life gets in my way lol

1 Like

A close friend just had the first eye done 5 days ago. He was amazed at the result! He had always thought the walls of his doctor’s office was a tan eggshell, he now knows they are white!
Light, color and clarity that had all diminished gradually over the years - and were restored in the 15 minute procedure.
Besides the clarity and light, he will no longer need the coke bottle glasses he wore all his life.

The issue now is the interm until the other eye is done. the difference between one dim and needing correction while the “new” one is bright and clear.
As a result he is unable to do many things, reading is difficult.
Good that you are getting that done now, you will have new eyes to enjoy the fruit of your new forge!

Oops. I thought your son was you… and a woman?

:slight_smile: Laser Lady is good. My bosses have started calling me the Laser Maven.

#PewPew #TeamLasers

:smiley:

2 Likes

Bwahaha. Youngest Glowforge owner…hes 12
Although he helps me with my other laser cutters

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I’ve got some 11 and 12s in my programming that are running with the laser concept in inspiring ways. :smiley: He should come play sometime. I don’t suppose you get up to the SF Bay ever?

1 Like

I would love to take him to SF…maybe some day😀