Pre-Release | A little engraving fix for you guys on this holiday

Not gunna lie…I probably spent a solid ten minutes just staring at that first photo. And then to hear that it’s only 4" big??

Thanks so much for not only sharing this amazing design, but also for showing the benefits of leaving the masking on the final piece! I would have never thought to leave it on, but after seeing the two engravings side by side I think I actually prefer the one with only selective weeding. To me, the smoke on the masking gives it more dimension and makes the weeded parts pop even more in comparison. Amazing work! :grin:

14 Likes

No problem! Im really loving the selective weeding as well! I really cant wait until 3d engraving is available to pre-release users. Then I can start making them with actual dimensions like that! so excited for that

7 Likes

Oh man, if you’re already changing people’s stance on glowforge now, I can see the fb laser groups just exploding when you get some 3D engravings done!!

8 Likes

Yep. Here’s the direct link to the SVG file - you can grab different resolutions and pixel sizes from here:

19 Likes

grab the SVG, then you dont have to worry about resolution and pixel size =)

8 Likes

Yep - but I figured if someone was SVG challenged from a software standpoint they could get a higher rez PNG. Or if you want it for computer wallpaper and are too lazy to import & export :smile:

Nice find though. I wonder if that’s the source that all the laser manufacturers use for their samples? Epilog sends one out with their brochures too.

4 Likes

I imagine you could get a similar effect with leaving the masking on with a light ply where you want light (say the maple) and then applying a light stain to the exposed areas… That way the texture is wood all the way…

3 Likes

/uploads/db6859/optimized/2X/5/5af28359c7b8dc0d11115958cbda3aff992b0c86_1_690x452.JPG

Pretty much like that?

42 Likes

Here is another one. Perhaps a little cleaner.
http://manmademayhem.com/Aztec%20Sunstone.svg

8 Likes

So if it’s 340, that means we have another 4x in resolution to go? Goodness.

(Yeah, I know, not really 4x, because the spot size is somewhere smaller than 8 mils, so you’re really just placing your “brush” with much higher resolution than the bursh size, hence more detail only in some conditions…)

4 Likes

I just got some new masking in last night, so im going to attempt to do some multi layer painting/masking to see how it comes out. Obviously will post when I have results =)

14 Likes

Nice. Thanks!

3 Likes

OMG. The details… THE DETAILS. I’m so excited!

7 Likes

Yeah, that one is much nicer! The Wikipedia one is a really bad rendition, IMO.

There’s several of them out there, but I haven’t been able to find a very detailed vector-based reproduction of the original. I also haven’t been able to find a single detailed 3D scan/model of it. If anyone knows of one, I’l love to take a look at it!

1 Like

I’ve been looking for the same! No luck…

2 Likes

Beautiful.

Pretty new to this stuff, though. What is meant by “weeding”?

2 Likes

pulling off all the tiny bits of masking thats covering the piece. it takes forever… @dean 's tape trick helps a bit though.

3 Likes

Ah, thanks!

2 Likes

Soooo friggen awesome!!!

2 Likes

Wow! So… it’s just… and those… and the… wow.

4 Likes