Pre Release | Another Living Hinge Box

pre-release
metal
boxes

Here’s a different way to incorporate metal into your project.

First, I created a stencil in 10mil Mylar, of the shape I wanted the metal in, and cut it on the laser.

Then, I placed some thin (38 ga) soft tooling aluminum over the stencil on a soft surface, and rubbed over the top with a paper stump, to impress the shape in the metal. Moved the operation to a hard surface, and using paper stumps, a Teflon scribe, and embossing tools, I embossed all the lines against the stencil so that the metal would be raised in those areas. Then flattened the in-between portions with a paper stump. I wanted the metal to be gold in color so I gold-leafed it all. Then I painted gesso into all the non-raised areas, colored with Prismacolor pencils, and finished with workable fixatif spray.

The box was made in the same way as some of my other living hinge round boxes. I used Baltic birch, and colored it dark brown with alcohol ink.

Here it is from the top:

Looks great! Thanks for explaining your technique. I’ll have to try it.

Dang girl! You don’t just laser things - you create little works of art! :grinning:

(I tried gold leafing once, years ago. You think the Smurfette PearlEx experience was funny?):roll_eyes:

This is so lovely! Thank you for the detailed write-up. How is the metal attached to the box, is it adhered to a lid under or is it the lid?

Oh, thanks! The metal is super-glued to a piece of wood cut to the diameter of the box.

It looks so much like the leading on stained glass! really wonderful.

Very, very, impressive. Looks like an exquisite cupcake to me.

Cool technique and it looks fantastic.

What a great idea. This is super neat!!

Gorgeous! Nice work lady!!! :heart_eyes:

This is really amazing! I loved reading your play by play technique, though I didn’t ‘get’ half of the terminology or materials. Another avenue of learning for me. Beautiful work!

Beautiful!!

Me neither – though I was having a TIA while reading. :wink:

This is a fantastic idea!
You may already know this, but the technique you are using is almost like repoussé.
The difference is that with repoussé you put the metal on a soft material (usually a bowl of pitch) and then tool into it with little punches.

I really like the idea of cutting the “stencil” and then forming the metal over it, thanks for the detailed writeup!

Kind of off-topic, but related to mylar…

Here’s a tip for people playing with mylar: If you have two sheets that you want to weld together in a seam, lay the two pieces on top of each other and place a sheet of parchment (oven) paper on top. Then run a soldering or wood burning iron across where you want the seam. Works great.

Also, I would not be surprised if you could use parchment paper to soften the full on laser blast in order to weld the sheets together instead of cutting through them.

Whaaat! I’ve never heard of those techniques alone, let alone together.

You should build more kites. It’s a pretty popular technique with kite builders, actually. :slight_smile:

Amazing piece!!! Wow!!!

Whoa…that is super cool!!! Looks lovely! :heart::heart::heart:

FYI. If you get your mylar from me, that may not work. I get mine with a special coating that prevents welding when cut in layers on the laser since we cut up to 5 layers at a time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: