Pre-Release Glowforge: delivery, unboxing, setup, first prints! :glowforge:

27 Likes

I love that show!

3 Likes

Man points hehe funny!

Thanks so much for all the photos and information!!

You are awesome :grin:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed photos and measurements! You have answered a question about my Glowforge table being able to fit the machine, that I have had for a long time. Answer: it will!

9 Likes

That looks pretty used. More than just a test setup & run-in.

All that setup seems to be contrary to what the target market would expect to have to do.

1 Like

Didn’t read through all the comments but I am suprised to see only a not especially thick looking outer box and partial foam pieces supporting the glowforge. Really doesn’t offer a lot in the way of puncture, crush or blunt impact protection. (ie impact from the corner of another box) I would think at least a complete soft foam enclosure or seconday inside box, or even a lot of foam peanuts stuffing the empty air spaces. At very least a thick cardboart top piece to protect the glass

3 Likes

I would hope that they have a plastic cover for the glass too, to prevent scratches.

From past discussions it seems as though Glowforge has tested the shipping box extensively so there is a good chance that it is adequate for the duty. Personally, I really dislike getting boxes with large volumes of peanuts when there seem to be much better solutions, like those little air-filled plastic pillows.

7 Likes

Dan’s family is here for Laser Thursday, but I just asked him and this isn’t the final packaging.

22 Likes

So even the packaging needs to be finalized - that makes it seem like there must a rather large punch list before the product is done.

or maybe they used the smallest box they could ship fastest for cheapest with fed-ex.

I’m sure if we’re patient we’ll get an update.

Got my first print done. It’s beautiful. Smells amazing. And first project is a ruler! Glowforge Rulz!

Shout out to @jbv, @morganstanfield, and my CO Glowforge buddies. And where are the Wisconsin Glowforgers. Having a New Glarus in celebration, Bubbler in honor of the coolant bubbling through.

53 Likes

WOW!! thats amazing! Your design?

5 Likes

Nice!!!

Enjoy your beer, you deserve it😉

5 Likes

Lookin’ mighty fine @marmak3261
I’ll drink to that. Cheers!

6 Likes

Looks fantastic! I’ll be looking forward to making one of those - I always need rulers, and they hide. :relaxed:

8 Likes

Oh, man – Twisted Pine is 2 blocks from my lab.

3 Likes

Glad to see you like our locking pins :slight_smile:

As it happens there are actually a number of custom fasteners in the Glowforge - when we say we built it from the ground up we mean it!

14 Likes

Gorgeous job on the ruler!
And that beverage looks yummy :grin:

2 Likes

The ruler is a free design at the moment that you use for your first project all set up. Stick the wood in. Let the material register. Place the design. Print.

Since there is a lot of discussion on the placement of materials I deliberately pushed the envelope for the second print in placing it by eye midway between the empty spot above the first cutout. It cut right where I wanted. Hadn’t checked the squareness of wood and only lined up left side. Jigs to position materials orthogonally will be useful or just paying attention by eyes. I know this isn’t Stefan Gotteswinter precision but there is potential.

41 Likes