Pre-Release | Lighting the Way

fusion360
proofgrade
pre-release
acrylic

#1

Supplies: Proofgrade 1/4"(clear) & 1/8" frosted Acrylic - Total op Time: 37 mins.

This is actually version 2 of this project. The previous version was similar but single LEDs.
But during the exterior remodel of the house a couple months back the siding guys crushed and damage one of the LEDs and the rest of the chain started to flake out.

We went to target and grab the cheapest path light kit they had. I took it apart and measured the base where I was thinking of placing the LED matrix. Took those measurements and drop them in F360.

(Dang…Fusion must have upgraded their render engine. So, so pretty)

Anyway- I created sketches and projected the features I wanted on that sketch. Then exported that out to a DXF. Then imported that into AI.

Since I knew that I was going to be using two materials (two thicknesses) I color coded the assets into one file. Then just told the UI what things to cut/engrave. vs having two files. The next step was to set the area where I wanted to engrave so the LED matrix has a pocket to sit in.

Imported and cut/engrave the files and just over a half hour later I had the first mockup/prototype.

Not pretty, but they’ll work. (Yup. I made standoffs for this reason. But didn’t use them.)

Everything looks good. Now to assemble the remaining 7.

Oh yeah. One of the things I had to modify was the location of the reflector. The stock location was the bottom (Right) and the new location with the mount (Left)

Modified Left - Stock Right

While I was assembling everything, my wife thought the clear setup was too ‘abrasive’ in the terms of brightness. So a couple seconds with 180 grit and 220 grit sandpaper in a orbital did the trick. In the video you’ll see all the tests. Far right is frosted. Middle is clear. At the end is clear with a frosted cover over the LEDs. Frosted exterior won. This video shows a small subset of the patterns I programmed in.

So I had to repeat that 7 more times.

Installed. And not 5 mins after this it started to rain. So I was not able to get a good video of it in action. But here are a couple stills.


#2

Just wow!


#3

Well… That’s flipping awesome!! Well done!


#4

Amazing build. Very creative. Thicker acrylic has so much potential for many things. Trying to picture the electronic parts of this, but assume you just used the housing and did all the wiring custom.


#5

SWEET!!!
Amazing what everyone is coming up with!!!


#6

Oh gosh, I sure wish I could model in F360 like that. These are truly works of art! The result is something money can’t buy anywhere.


#7

Very nice! My wife was just asking about a project I’ve had in my hopper pending forge delivery…

Thanks for sharing what you’ve done!


#8

All the electronics are custom. The controller is a sparkcore running a sketch that can talk to SmartThings. (Same everything is in the house number project) In fact the two are sync’d to each other. When the house number triggers (runs a color pattern and plays a song or a sound effect) the path lighting echos the same colors/pattern.

All of that is inside the first path light with 5V running to it. Everything is wireless.


Weekly Highlights for the Week ending April 8th, 2017
#9

Have you tried the option of setting up a drawing in F360 where you can select the components and views you want into one sheet, then exporting that as a PDF file? Seems like it may simplify things, removing the steps of exporting sketches as DXF files. Plus, drawings in F360 will update automatically to reflect changes in the 3D Model. I’m not sure if F360 exports a vector PDF file though.


#10

Drawing yeah. In this case I still needed to setup/configure the engrave portion which is done in AI. So I opt’d for plain jane DXF.


#11

I need to test this. One downside would be that you’d have to kerf compensate in the drawing where I do it now as I export the dxf.


#12

Well, that’s rather incredible! :relaxed:


#13

Amazing!!
Just need to make them solar! :grin:


#14

They are. I mostly wanted to highlight the, ‘Hrmm I like that- but I want it to do something else’ And doing those mods with only the glowforge. I didn’t want to bombard folks with EE stuff. shrug


#15

Love the design. Also with the ability to control them remotely , I can see a grid on the lawn of these things. Then bitmap animated lawn art…

Looks pro!


#16

Go figure!!


#17

Holy Jesus, I’m speechless!


#18

WOW!! Nice! :astonished:


#19

Stunning!


#20

Mega sweeeet.