Pre-Release | Lighting the Way

Well… That’s flipping awesome!! Well done!

10 Likes

Amazing build. Very creative. Thicker acrylic has so much potential for many things. Trying to picture the electronic parts of this, but assume you just used the housing and did all the wiring custom.

6 Likes

SWEET!!!
Amazing what everyone is coming up with!!!

3 Likes

Oh gosh, I sure wish I could model in F360 like that. These are truly works of art! The result is something money can’t buy anywhere.

5 Likes

Very nice! My wife was just asking about a project I’ve had in my hopper pending forge delivery…

Thanks for sharing what you’ve done!

6 Likes

All the electronics are custom. The controller is a sparkcore running a sketch that can talk to SmartThings. (Same everything is in the house number project) In fact the two are sync’d to each other. When the house number triggers (runs a color pattern and plays a song or a sound effect) the path lighting echos the same colors/pattern.

All of that is inside the first path light with 5V running to it. Everything is wireless.

30 Likes

Have you tried the option of setting up a drawing in F360 where you can select the components and views you want into one sheet, then exporting that as a PDF file? Seems like it may simplify things, removing the steps of exporting sketches as DXF files. Plus, drawings in F360 will update automatically to reflect changes in the 3D Model. I’m not sure if F360 exports a vector PDF file though.

Drawing yeah. In this case I still needed to setup/configure the engrave portion which is done in AI. So I opt’d for plain jane DXF.

2 Likes

I need to test this. One downside would be that you’d have to kerf compensate in the drawing where I do it now as I export the dxf.

1 Like

Well, that’s rather incredible! :relaxed:

1 Like

Amazing!!
Just need to make them solar! :grin:

2 Likes

They are. I mostly wanted to highlight the, ‘Hrmm I like that- but I want it to do something else’ And doing those mods with only the glowforge. I didn’t want to bombard folks with EE stuff. shrug

9 Likes

Love the design. Also with the ability to control them remotely , I can see a grid on the lawn of these things. Then bitmap animated lawn art…

Looks pro!

5 Likes

Go figure!!

Holy Jesus, I’m speechless!

3 Likes

WOW!! Nice! :astonished:

2 Likes

Stunning!

2 Likes

Mega sweeeet.

2 Likes

Ai will open a PDF as well, as long as it’s vector and not bitmap, so the same steps would work for setting up the engraving.

You can put the kerf into the model using the Offset command. F360 will keep the Offset as a parametric constraint as long as you dont modify the offset lines directly, then you can make a User Parameter called “Kerf” and specify that for the offset distance. Then this would give you parametric control of the laser cut path so you can change it for various materials if needed.

I’m modeling a fully parametric box in F360 right now with the kerf built into the model itself. The tricky part is the finger joints technically need two different offset distances, one for mating faces where both faces are laser cut, and one for laser cut faces that need to be flush with the flat face of the material. This has been fun trying to find the right combination of constraints that will drive the appropriate dimensions, but not break the shape. LOL

At least F360 gives the option to correct a parameter if something breaks. Pro-Engineer just freezes to a stop and crashes, then you get to start over.

8 Likes

My reactions :thinking::open_mouth::astonished::heart_eyes:

5 Likes