Pre Release: Low Power Map

Alright, so @brooklyntonia did her amazing map of Baltimore today. I wanted to do a map too. However a town map is boring where I live (our population is 9000) so figured I’d do a SUPER complex map (why start small?). This map (and technically it’s only half) has 13000 nodes in the curve.

This is a map of the arteries in your body. I didn’t have any fancy cardstock or any of that, so found some faded (this used to be red) construction paper in the old playroom. A little blue tape around the edges…

Engraved at 1%/100

(really hard to see, so I put a yellow sheet behind)

One more time attempt at time lapse with vimeo embed (and I have no idea why it is upside down)

Video link since discourse eventually loses it

70 Likes

It makes really interesting art! I didn’t realize there were so many arteries in the hand/wrist area.

1 Like

Love this

3 Likes

Even upside down I could watch this all day

2 Likes

What, seriously - with construction paper? That’s amazing, and I love the yellow behind it … really makes it pop.

4 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Totally cool! (Looks a bit like a human shaped tree.) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am groot.

9 Likes

Wow, we are really beautiful when we are mapped out like that!
I can’t wait to let the resident paper nerd loose on this thing, I think she has paper in her veins…

7 Likes

Vineman :grin:

2 Likes

This is incredible!! Did you have this as a vector file available? Do you have a recommendation of where to find such anatomical images? My brother is a neuro-pathologist at the university of Chicago and work like this would make for great presents!!

1 Like

Wow. That’s amazing actually. The subject and the project!

Well he’s probably want the nervous system (or even cooler make him a dermatome map. I just googled for a map of the arteries. The trick wasn’t finding one, the trick was finding one of the bazillion drawings that wasn’t labeled. After that just a lot of manipulation in illustrator to make it cuttable. I want to try this again (this was more a proof of concept) as overlay cutouts with veins, arteries and nerves (red, blue, yellow in traditional style)

5 Likes

Then you could do one of those cool layered art pieces with multiple levels of acrylic or glass–so cool!

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation :grinning: Overlay of different structures would be awesome! But that means you imported the image into AI, traced it /converted it into a vector graphics and sent it to the forge as svg? That must have taken some time!!
Sendt fra Yahoo Mail på Android

Den ons. 21. jun… 2017 kl. 11.32 skrev henryhbkglowforge@discoursemail.com:
| | henryhbk Regular
June 21 |

ToGo:
This is incredible!! Did you have this as a vector file available? Do you have a recommendation of where to find such anatomical images? My brother is a neuro-pathologist at the university of Chicago and work like this would make for great presents!!

Well he’s probably want the nervous system (or even cooler make him a dermatome map. I just googled for a map of the arteries. The trick wasn’t finding one, the trick was finding one of the bazillion drawings that wasn’t labeled. After that just a lot of manipulation in illustrator to make it cuttable. I want to try this again (this was more a proof of concept) as overlay cutouts with veins, arteries and nerves (red, blue, yellow in traditional style)

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

| | ToGo
June 21 |

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

yep, although at this point I am pretty efficient at it. It’s more cleanup than the tracing part.

The more you do it, the quicker it gets. Don’t wait for the GF, start vectorizing now.

1 Like

Nice! I don’t know what else to say. Nice!

2 Likes

Nicely impressive. Time to look for a 3D map of nerves, veins, nerves, and bones and 3D print them up life size in different colors. It’s probably been done already, but would still be fun to do.