Pre Release: Silly maker sign

It’s confusing so I avoid ending a sentence with a web or email address - reword the sentence so there is something after it.

4 Likes

Here is the sign “in action” with 2 of the surgical residents (each team rotated through the pitch stations) in the final class before the actual pitch session. Going over prototypes or prototyping plans. The sign was a big hit…

12 Likes

Warning Geek talk to follow.

To build a bit on my earlier post, I think the subset of glowfolk who would find real grammar fascinating is larger than the subset who like to talk about orthographic conventions. Grammar is not the hodgepodge of writing conventions and badly explained ‘parts of speech’ and that you learned in elementary school. Grammar, or more accurately, syntax, as considered by linguists, is an analysis of the roles words play in sentences and the structural rules that define the relationship between those roles.

It does not include how you get it down on paper, which is orthography:

I agree that discussing orthography ends up rabbit-holing. People should just pick the conventions they want to follow and just do it. Worked for e.e. cummings.

Syntax is more interesting because it opens your mind to the ambiguity that can suddenly present itself in utterances. Consider the phrases ‘Jules threw up her hands’, and ‘Dan backed up Marion’.

9 Likes

So trying to compile/install any Windows source code still crashes them?

Rabbit hole indeed!

I never knew I had an interest until I did… If this stuff fascinates you, Steven Pinker (Harvard) has written several books on different facets of this.

2 Likes

Note: When I grade papers (rarely, but does happen), the Oxford Comma is mandatory. Other times, people are left to their own devices…even if they are wrong.

4 Likes

There’s no fun in a pun,
if there’s no tin-tacks in the syntax.

2 Likes

I, tend, to use, the, Shatner comma.

10 Likes

:roll_eyes:

They weren’t particularly tasty.

1 Like

I’ve read and enjoyed a few of his books, and had the pleasure of a dinner with him with 10 other people.

To learn the meat of the syntax matter:

An introductory book that runs to almost 500 pages!

2 Likes

So jealous. He was kind enough to answer an email I sent though.

1 Like

How to intelligently win any Glowforge argument concerning fonts, punctuation, or who has the better escutcheon. This simply shuts down any opposing viewpoints. Feel free to use it. You’re welcome.

:sunglasses: :grin:

6 Likes

This was always my favorite to leave in a bad thread.

11 Likes

(promptly steals meme for later use…)

4 Likes

By the way, the battery I powered the Feather with, ran for 36 hours powering the OLED screen and Feather M0 (didn’t activate the Wifi radio).

2 Likes