Pre-Release | Stamp "Unless"

After @henryhbk cut some Linoleum stamps from inventibles, I decided to buy this. Its a sheet of Linoleum that you can laser, then mount to something else. I’m looking forward to trying it out!

5 Likes

Does the GF have the rubber stamp mode, which was promised way back, yet?

2 Likes

No there is not a separate rubber stamp mode in the UI. Either way, it’s just a matter of one of the members posting the settings and passes, isn’t it? I don’t expect any such capability before the company starts selling Proofgrade material that can be used for this function. At this time there is no such material in the materials shop.

Rubber stamps are not something I care about, so will admit that haven’t paid any real attention to the posts on that subject. So I don’t remember a rubber stamp mode being promised, though not ruling it out.

2 Likes

I don’t remember it being promised. Here’s your post that has Dan’s reply from last Oct.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this. I have made several rubber (actually, clear laser polymer) stamps and they all suffer from the weakness you refer to. If I engrave too deeply, the thinnest lines don’t have enough support and they don’t stamp well. So I’d be interested in a rubber stamp mode as well. However, there is one thing I plan to try in the meantime: create an intermediate level for engraving that would only go halfway down and would outline each element for a few 10ths of a millimeter. (Hope that makes sense.) So for example your intermediate level would be superimposed on the deeper engrave in a different color in the UI and would have shallower engrave settings. I plan to give this a try soon.

3 Likes

If you do, will you please share your findings here? I suspect that these same techniques/principles will apply to leather stamps/embossing plates as well. Have not tried those yet due to time constraints + lack of engraving skill :wink:

2 Likes

My students make small laser cut items for our capsule vending machine as a fundraiser. I’d love to add small stamps to our repertoire. Thanks for the idea.

3 Likes

Not really. The rubber stamp mode would be a 3d engrave that widens the deeper it gets, giving more strength to the stamp.

They were definitely promised by @dan - I asked the question to him and he told me it was happening. Dan’s words:

‘we’ll definitely do stamps. Demoing it in the near future is the part that’s on the wishlist.’

4 Likes

Read further down:

2 Likes

As it sits now- It can do stamps. Are you wanting a specific mode that does it (vs. just putting in the manual power/speed?) Or you mean proofgrade rubber? What was demoed above by @rebecca shows you can do it. As for the ‘widening the base of the stamp’ you can do that now also. But that would require a depth map of some kind.

1 Like

If they ever roll out 3D engraving then it could be done with OpenSCAD and an STL to greyscale conversion.

3 Likes

But better if it’s a specific cutting mode.

3 Likes

Well I got that wrong. I was too rushed yesterday morning. I saw that post. I just focused on the ‘Demoing it in the near future is the part that’s on the wishlist’ and interpreted it wrongly as having nothing else is on the wishlist - like doing rubber stamps. I thought he was contradicting himself and therefore nothing was really promised. If the timing was slightly different yesterday morning and I learned how to quote single lines from a post before posting this then you would have had the pleasure of seeing me have that quote in my mistaken post.

1 Like

Wow! I’ve never done stamps but now I’m tempted.

3 Likes

I happened to see a post all about how to create a depth map for exactly this use: Tutorial Making a stamp with a 3D sloped profile

5 Likes

May I ask what settings you used for this?

Searching on [material name] (e.g., “stamp rubber”) + settings in the Beyond the Manual category (the only place settings are allowed to be posted in this forum) yields a lot of results. Here is a redux I found after a quick search:

There is a lot of variability in materials. Learning to test to find your own settings is worthwhile:

1 Like

Did you end up using this yet? How did it turn out? I have a sheet of this, can’t find a solid answer yet if it is good to use or not. Thanks!

1 Like

I used it a couple of times. It works well, but it’s very smelly and dusty.

I’ve used the laser rubber as well. That worked a bit better, less smell.

Great! I just ordered some of the laser rubber but I think I will try a couple with the Red Baron in the mean time. Thanks!

1 Like