Tutorial - Making a Stamp with a 3D/Sloped Profile

Quick tutorial for those of you that want to make a stamp with a sloped profile, but dont want to mess with 3d generated depth maps. This is really helpful when you have thin areas or small details standing by themselves.

Bring up the logo you want in your image editing software. For this example Ill just use the unity logo

Next youll want to make your background black, and the logo white like this:

Next open up your layer effects on the logo itself and go to outer glow. Follow the settings in the screenshot as a guide. but make sure to set the size of the glow to what best suits your material. firmer materials will need less support.

Now for the contour at the bottom you will want to play around with this setting a little. A straight contour will give you a little bit of bleed at the edges, but provide more support. Using a slightly more arcing slope will give you a bit more edge definition. This is going to need to change depending on how squishy your material is, and how thick your ink is.

More squishy materials will need more of an arc to prevent bleeding than those that are more solid.

In the end once you get everything set you should have an image that looks like this:

Make sure to flip your image before engraving! (thanks @hansepe)

Upload to the GFUI and youre set to 3d engrave your stamp with sidewall support.

88 Likes

Excellent! Linked to the Matrix.

6 Likes

Just remember to reverse the image first

12 Likes

Super well explained, thanks!! :smiley::+1:

5 Likes

whoops! good catch!

6 Likes

@takitus, you rock! Thanks!!

7 Likes

Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Awesome!!! I can’t wait to try it! Much easier than my solution which was going to be adding a shelf with outlines in Illustrator.

4 Likes

Woooow, bookmarked!!

3 Likes

Unity logo! Great example!
I’ve been using Unity since 2012!

3 Likes

Should this also be moved to the Tips and Tricks section?

I was going to but I don’t want to break your link.

1 Like

I can capture any link in the Matrix (even the ones out here in the main forum) so it doesn’t really matter.

(I believe if it is transferred to the other section the link will update. It did on his other two tutorials when he moved them to Tips and Tricks.)

So it can be put wherever you guys want.

Thank you! Awesome description and details as always. Now even I could do this.

1 Like

The harbinger of the machines.
Are you the Oracle?

What’s really gonna burn my noodle is, would I have lasered it if she hadn’t said anything in the first place? But I don’t really believe in any of that stuff. I’ll have a cookie and by the time I’m done eating it, I’ll feel right as rain.

4 Likes

It’s chocolate chip…:wink:

1 Like

I come here to escape Unity and Coding for a while…
Seeing the Logo made me die a little inside

3 Likes

I do it as a hobby. I’m assuming with that response it’s not the case for you :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to live next door to some Rev-Heads (sigh).
They had amazing skills with fixing, modifying and making cars.
I asked them one day “You guys are so skilled, but you work as Joiners, why aren’t you doing car work? Mechanics, or Custom modding etc”
They replied, “…because we like it too much, if we started to do it as work we would stop enjoying it in our spare time”

For me Unity/C# started out as a Hobby but turned into a semi-lucrative side business.

I used to be a Chef. I’m not anymore for the same reason. I loved it in school. Hated it as a career and now that I’m out I enjoy it again.

I’m working on my 2nd asset for the unity asset store. So far I make about 10 bucks a month with my first one :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

May I ask what image editing software are you using ?