Pre-Release | Twin Dragons - Padauk and Yellowheart

how big is this? I’m assuming close to 4" diameter?

Also, too bad you aren’t all that local to me. I have a good slab of purpleheart waiting for me to mill it up for some GF pieces.

2 Likes

Yeah that would be nice! I’m planning on going back for more. Now that I know what works well and how, I’m ready to get some larger pieces on the next visit.

1 Like

That is so cool!

1 Like

5.25". ha that would be awesome if you were.

I just came across this site tonight. I know @takitus will appreciate the awesome work and thought others might as well. Space wolf

5 Likes

I love space wolf stuff. It was actually him that ultimately got me to look for local wood mills. He told me he uses Baird brothers out of Ohio for his cherry slabs, but it was easier/cheaper for me to buy local. His work is awesome, especially some of his multimedia pieces.

2 Likes

Those are some sizeable slabs he uses . Baird mentions they might edgeglue their 9.5" wide cherry. Gets my wondering how well the glue in a joint would engrave and if it would be noticeable.

2 Likes

I got some 12.5" slabs from the local place. It’s not impossible to get them that big. You just have to get them custom cut

You’re making me jealous. Not nearly as easy to get large pieces of hardwood in the west , especially in Canada. I’m heading to what looks to be an awesome supplier in a few weeks. I’m planning to load up with as much as will fit … :blush:

Definitely let us know how it goes; post some photos!

1 Like

Will do. I finally picked up and put a wider blade in my bandsaw so I can resaw my own stock now. It worked far better than I thought it would. Now I want a bigger bandsaw though as with my 14" saw I can only do up to 4.5" wide.

2 Likes

How did you set up the file? Did you use 3D software? I am trying to create 3d images from 2D drawings. Is that something Glowforge does for you? Thanks!

There has been some discussion on this around the forum. Searching for “depth map” seems to lead to many of the topics. Best of luck!

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=depth%20map

edit: also, after posting my reply, @takitus posted a super simple tutorial:

6 Likes