PreAssociate Colors with Power and Speed

Is there anyway to “save” Power and Speed - Color association? It would be really handy for test prints and production of a variety of designs on a given material.

I can’t see how that would be any more helpful than the way things are. You would still have to re-program those colors every time you changed material or even material thickness.

2 Likes

Not saying it’s not possible, but it would be an entire rework of the current materials management system.

I think both methods have their merits - the Glowforge way introduces a lot less design constraints up front.

In the absence of being able to assign colors, the best way I can think of would be to set up a new testing material and then apply a number of presets to that material.

5 Likes

I mean you could save a power/speed/(LPI if needed) and name it “teal” and then anytime you uploaded a design with teal you’d be one click away from it being set - but you’d still have to do that one click.

In case you don’t know there are custom palettes you can install in your design program that will put your items in a pre-specified order:

That would be a first step :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts! I’m going to send your suggestions to our product team and move this thread to Everything Else so the conversation can continue.

1 Like

Those are some great thoughts, I don’t think I was very clear in my first post.

I am thinking a meta layer or pallet of settings. This Meta layer would allow a fixed number of presets for engraving.

Another way of doing this would be to allow saving and recalling these pallets from the user’s machine. That could be an UI menu item that would populate the power and speed settings from something serialized to the user.

Perhaps it could leverage the QR code presets for the proofgrade materials. But that might mess with GF’s rice bowl. I don’t have any inside info, but I think there are power users out there that have never bought proofgrade and those that totally rely upon it. I still have my box from the original order and have never opened it.

I do this with the material rather than the design, as you might be making the same design in different materials at different times. So a name like Maple_soft_3mm_full_160 will tell you all you need to know and all the Maple stuff will be together.

1 Like

That’s closer to what I do too - but since they were asking about associating colours :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thinking of attaching the cut nature to the design is natural, but experience tells you to attach the cut nature to the material as that is the critical variable and not the specifics of the design so the answer goes a step beyond the question to the solution eventually reached. Some folk appreciate it and I guess some don’t.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.