Prerelease Trace Test on Cardstock

Also you can select the design and copy it, and paste it as many times as you wish and do it all in one setting if you have a a bed of material. (Just in case you were referring to this, stating the obvious, because the obvious sometimes is un-noted.)

7 Likes

I’ll say! I actually never have tried it, although I should have. Duh! Thanks!

One thing I did try, though, was holding down the space bar to switch to the hand tool, and I was delighted to discover that it works just like it does in Illustrator.

3 Likes

Get out of here. I wish they would have some tool tips or something. That switching back and forth drives me nuts. So we can toggle with space bar from select to move screen. Yippee. That is an obvious thing that I missed, like the contrast thing.

7 Likes

Really? That’s news! :relaxed:

6 Likes

I’m sure the “Glowforge for Dummies” book will be out by Thanksgiving .

16 Likes

OK…well, thank you. I was thinking maybe I could duplicate or copy something and just pile them on. So I guess that’s not an option. But, I suppose we can just do it like you did…put any number of things into one design. I was hoping there might be a cooler way. Appreciate your experience.

(saw this answered by marmak3261…thanks anyway!)

1 Like

Wow…I didn’t see this until after I posted back to cynd11. That’s exactly what I was wanting to know. We tried it last night and it didn’t work. We used keyboard shortcuts cmd C and cmd V. Seemed like it should work that way, so I’ll have to try it again. Thank you!

Click the design, ctrl-C, ctrl-V. (Mac is… command? Not sure). Will copy and paste. I’m sorry it wasn’t more intuitive! Please file a bug that it was hard to figure out.

3 Likes

Yep, Command (i.e. Apple Key for newer Mac users) C and V

2 Likes

Haha–there is no apple key on the keyboards any more (at least not on mine). Maybe you have an old one?

2 Likes

I have had an Apple computer continuously on my desk since 1979… (made the jump from Apple ][ to Mac in 1985) I have an impressive array of ancient keyboards (at this point those go mostly onto raspberry PIs etc, and I have the great apple white bluetooth keyboard - the real keyboard not those chicklet pieces of crap - which runs our teleprompter in my video studio). On my desk on the other hand at work and home I have the super expensive daskeyboard mechanical keyboards. Sure they are $180, but you can customize the color of the cherry mx key switches (I selected browns) and they feel amazing.

5 Likes

If @Jules wrote the book I would buy it. :relaxed:

4 Likes

Hah-ha-ha-ha! Missed this last night…the image didn’t display on the ipad. :smile:

2 Likes

Huzzah!

Except I kind of need it now :wink:

4 Likes

Here is a demo video of the process of tracing from a hand drawn image. Not so frightful, but fairly mundane is the drawing.

12 Likes

Thank you @marmak3261! That was very helpful. I don’t use trace much and was not aware of all the different operations you can do with it (maybe it would help if I read the manual-haha). There is really quite a lot to it. I will have to play around with it some more. Part of my reason for avoiding it is my lack of drawing skills.

Glad to see you using corrugated cardboard too. I’ve been avoiding it for fear of a greater fire risk but looks like I’m being unnecessarily paranoid.

Oh, and that is quite a nice video setup you have!

1 Like

Thanks. Cardboard really works well. You do have to take some precaution and as ever, stay close… I did a test to cut some living hinges with cardboard and some of the cardboard actually smoldered away during the cut and turned to ash but there was never a full fire. You do have to watch it. As long as you aren’t cutting a bunch of lines close together. And even the engraving isn’t bad as long as you make it fast and 1%.

1 Like

Awesome! Gonna snag that for the tutorials! :relaxed:

(Particularly liked the demo on the focusing using different material heights.)

1 Like

@marmak3261, thank you for making the video. I liked your technique of explaining the cut and trace feature on the GF. Any video like this one would be greatly appreciated. The way you took your time to explain the steps was perfect because it gives us the opportunity to see the menu choices plus we got your insight of your experience. I had also planned to use cardboard to try out different procedures so I wouldn’t waste my good stuff. Great job. :grin:

3 Likes

Oh, that makes sense! Thanks @marmak3261 for getting that clarification in there…but hindsight I should’ve realized that to be the case!