Presenting the Biltmore Conservatory (in gingerbread)

Wow, this was a very long project that was both fun and totally frustrating at the same time! It also seemed like it would never end (kind of like this year I guess), but today it is finally finished! Here’s a picture of the Biltmore Conservatory located on the grounds of the Biltmore House estate in Asheville, NC (side note, that place is awesome! If you ever have a chance to go, you should!)

Here’s how it turned out:

The side doors are kind of a wink at George Vanderbilt, who has his initials embossed on copper all over the main house. These are my initials instead.

One of my favorite details, a chandelier (thanks to @arh2, who assisted with the design on that)

I really wanted to be abe to see inside, because I made Christmas trees with really cool silver bows using edible fabric, unfortunately, the trees ended up being too tall for the bows to show. Also the wreaths kind of block the view. Here’s sort of a close-up though.

Finally, a snow globe full of irony:

Hope y’all like it!

56 Likes

I think Epic would properly describe your creation!!

12 Likes

That is amazing!!! I can’t believe that’s all gingerbread and edible decorations!

7 Likes

Thanks! The most important descriptor for it in my opinion is “done” :smiley:

I’m sure my family will be very excited to have the kitchen back.

10 Likes

Thanks, indeed it is all edible (but I wouldn’t recommend it).

6 Likes

That is absolutely incredible.

5 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

This is incredible! Words fail to convey how in awe I am of this structure, and to think that last year you were just beginning your adventure with Glowforge. This is absolutely stunning. Now get some rest!

5 Likes

Thanks! Actually it was nice to have the whole week to finish it off, rather than how I usually do it in just one day. So my next project will be scrubbing edible glitter off my kitchen floor :smiley:

5 Likes

A-MAZING!!! Really, if there’s a prize involved I think you should win it.

7 Likes

Ahhhh the Biltmore!! So awesome. What a wonderful project!

6 Likes

Wow @ElsieH - just wow.
The tree inside is perfect, and the fact that you thought to do that is what makes your stuff a step above! The crackle paint may be my favorite bit, it really takes it from gingerbread to building :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Oh my! It’s wonderful. What an immense amount of work and skill shows here…you are at the top of your game In fact, you may be at the top of many others games, too.

5 Likes

Oh my goodness…it just keeps getting better every year! Can’t believe you actually created a snow globe too on the side…that would be enough for me to call it quits! :rofl:

FAN-tastical and quite magical! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thank you! I used to have a season pass, I really love that place (but I’m not dumb enough to attempt the main house ha ha)

Thanks! It’s kind of funny, I have always been obsessed with putting stuff inside the houses. But it never works out that you can actually see them well enough. The sugar windows I used last year obscured the view of the lit Christmas tree, so this year I did crystal clear gelatin windows. And you still can’t really see the trees lol. I’m glad I didn’t bother trying to put lights on them.

Thanks, but I wouldn’t go nearly that far. Just google “Grove Park gingerbread” for examples that show I am in kindergarten compared to what some of those folks make (and they don’t use lasers).

Thank you! I do think that bit is pretty cute (although I wish I had put a gingerbread man in there instead of a tiny house :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

I think Asheville is awesome! amazing work on that! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

So thrilled to see the final result - you did so well (and we know you had gingerbread issues). Just love all the details, and the different techniques you put into it!

5 Likes

Thanks! It seems like it should have been a lot easier than it turned it was! But gingerbread and warping, the struggle was real!

5 Likes

Wow. :astonished:

4 Likes