Preventable Quality Concerns

I blindly assumed it was a metal frame with plastic around it. Thinking about it makes way more sense the frame is the plastic. Especially since all photos and videos I seen actually shows that all this time. (Feeling so sheepish)

3 Likes

Well that would have been the better way to do it, so you would be forgiven for thinking that!

1 Like

This drastically glosses over the issue and benefits of the plastic handles.

Glowforge already ships the boxes with an arguably decent amount of packing tape on the box.

The handles provide protection against a different set of shear forces the boxes are subjected to, independent of the packing tape.

Then you have handles in place, the stresses allows for better support when lifting heavy objects…

If you rely solely on tape, you can hope strong tape is enough but without adequate plastic handles, you see something more like this:

In that situation, the only thing preventing the bottom half of the box from separating from the top is the thin adhesion of tape / glue / surface cardboard on either the bottom or box lid.

Granted, most people will pick up the “bottom orientation” (not to be confused with the “proper” bottom) of the package and offer it support while lifting. But the choice to use thinner lightweight tape was more in line with keeping dust and debris out of the box than it was intended to provide load-bearing support to a 72lb laser cutter.

So yes. Count me as one of those who think Glowforge should be throwing in four $0.15 plastic handles if they know they regularly go missing during shipment.

3 Likes

Allow me to clarify…for those concerned about voiding their warranty if they have to ship a unit back without all four plastic handles, I don’t believe it will necessarily be an immediate voiding of the warranty if you use a strong packaging tape instead, and tape the handle areas closed. If you have to do a warranty return, Support is going to get in touch with you and tell you what you can do.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Dan and/or support have already said to use tape to secure the handholds if the handles are missing.

4 Likes

I think the slew of reports of smudges, fingerprints, etc. came around the time they had the delay in receiving packing materials.

I think it is probable that they were focused on speed packing these up, and some of the extra handling was what dinged some of them.

2 Likes

It would be awesome if everybody (including me at times) could express themselves as well as you did. I don’t think anybody will be annoyed/offended/etc. unless they just really want to be and you can’t control that.

What you described is exactly how mine arrived. Clean, clear, well packaged

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m not really worried about offending anyone as that’s out of my control. I just see many of us get into little arguments or unnecessary debates and speculations which is wearing as a reader. That’s with any forum, not just this one.

The quality issues bothers me alot so I had to write something. These are things that I have confidence that Flex can fix. I live in Canada so logistically it’s a pain if I need to reject the unit if it’s defective or damaged (I’m picking up in the USA)

And for expressing myself, I actually suck at it on a personal level. I’m typing as if I’m working at my day job :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

I disagree. The intent and attitude in your communication came through crystal.
I write much better than I speak, (probably because I actually think about it) but I talk like a sailor :skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

That’s how I sent my first one back with only 1 handle. I taped the bottom of the handheld to the bottom of the box, the top upwards and both sides outward(all about 2" inside the box) with the side closest to the end wrapped around the corner.

2 Likes

Ditto (on both counts). At least online you have the option to think/delete/reword. There is no verbal backspace - just a big ol’ foot in the mouth.

5 Likes

Exactly. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Maybe the names left on the accounts are the virtual equivalent of those inspector stickers you sometimes get on products, that identifies who inspected that item so they can track any problems.

Glowforge should use that really thin film thats fun to peel off of new appliances. That way, we get to peel a film and the units aren’t fingerprinty.

4 Likes

After reading this post it does give me pause on the quality of product that I will receive. I work in a facility that does very similar things as Flex. When I told one of my coworkers that was a former Flex engineer that glowforge was being made there. His first reaction was to tell me to disassemble the unit and reassemble it. Because the line level employees that do the assembly aren’t that great from his experience. While i won’t go to that extreme because of it violating my warranty. It’s worries me that it may be only a matter of time before it breaks.

2 Likes

I mean… Its only a matter of time before everything breaks.

2 Likes

True but depending on quality of the install that may speed the chance of it occurring. I’ve seen plenty of tech’s perform a job to get it past quality control but knowing it will break shortly there after. Again my concern was because of a former Flex engineer didn’t feel like there was a good chance everything would be done correctly. With the number of posts about issues. This concern has just been amplified. Before anyone goes into the “you can get a refund” I understand that. I’m excited to get my GF in my shop but just have reservations on the build.

I have no idea how any manufacturing really works, or any relevant experience, or any friends who are former flex employees, or any friends.

Maybe you should totally be concerned, or maybe the former experiences of a former employee aren’t necessarily the most accurate or up-to-date. Or maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Plus side, if you have the capability to take it apart and put it back together, warranty issues aside, you’re a lot better off than some of me us. Some of us.

4 Likes

I work with several former Flex employees and I disagree with your colleagues assessment of their line workers. Mind you the cosmetic issues is an issue originating from the line so there will be some who are not as good as others. I just don’t think it’s fair to generalize the group. Best to hope for for the best

3 Likes

After the warranty ends, my hubby becomes the official tech.

Will GF at a later date be able to offer us schematics for technical use, or is that a nono to ask.

( years back, I needed to order a schematic to fix a receiver I had, no problem with that, but this is something different, I understand )

You never know. But I will be surprised they wouldn’t give it to you as anyone could reverse engineer it. Maybe after they seeded the market before the competition

1 Like