Preventing "Death from a Thousand Cuts"

I am the world’s biggest klutz. Walk into walls with alarming regularity because I’m just focusing too intently on whatever problem is infesting my mind at the moment. Trip over tables. Conk myself on open cabinet doors. Stand on top of 7 foot snakes without noticing. (Yes, I lead an interesting life.) :smile:

So…I bought this really REALLY sharp microplane box grater, and I’ve had it sitting in the cabinet still wrapped up in the packaging for several months, because I knew what would happen as soon as I took the wrapping off. (The blasted thing doesn’t come with a cover, and I don’t know how the company hasn’t been put out of business yet from lawsuits at that little oversight.)

Anyway, since I had a sheet of thin Duets flexible acrylic, I decided to knock one out for it, so that when I reach past it into the cabinet to grab a skillet, I don’t bleed out all over the floor.

Looks like it’s gonna work…thanks Glowforge! :smile:

(And while I was typing this up, I burned the beef I had browning. sigh.) :roll_eyes:

64 Likes

Now that’s eminently practical!

6 Likes

I’m all for reducing blood loss wherever possible. :smile:

7 Likes

Then you should get one of these instead…

9 Likes

Ooooh! :star_struck:

1 Like

Not that you need more kitchen gadgets… but it is one of my favorites!

How is it to clean? Most of the time I don’t want to spend a lot of time hand washing…is it DW safe?

2 Likes

I have a much older version, but yes, those shredder cones go in the dishwasher, and the other part comes right off and can also go in dishwasher.

3 Likes

Odd. I’ve never owned one of those that DID have a cover. Guess we were just tougher when I was a young-un. :rofl:

6 Likes

They weren’t microplane when we were young-uns! :joy:

5 Likes

Great practical cut!!

(My twin and I used to shred the potatoes for dinner, I think our family might technically be cannibals due to the random bits of skin in the hash browns!)

7 Likes

And Cannibal Carrot Cake! I knew it well. :smile:

4 Likes

:grin:

3 Likes

Ewww… (but I liked the comment anyways!)

I don’t want to think about that! Those things are dangerous!

3 Likes

How do you prevent it from cutting tongues when we lick it clean?

8 Likes

Lick “up” only…

9 Likes

Ewwww! Noooo. :confounded: :smile:

2 Likes

In all seriousness, my “original” microplane is invaluable to me. Used mostly for garlic and ginger (which it converts to soluble pulp), but it also creates super fine grated parmesan, citrus zest, and nutmeg. I think that covers everything I use it for…

(it comes with a slide-on cover, but to protect it’s precious edges, not the owner!)

10 Likes

:grimacing: :woozy_face: :cold_sweat: :anguished:

1 Like

Never heard of thin Duets flexible acrylic before. Looked it up. Sounds interesting.

2 Likes