Print suddenly shifted to left

My engrave started fine and then suddenly shifted to the left and started printing flat on one side as if it is hitting an end stop (which may well be what happened). It looked fine in the work space and accepted the print but behaved as if I passed a limit. Is there something I am doing wrong or is my machine hosed?

1 Like

First thing I would do is turn the machine off and back on. This will force a new calibration.

Was the head moved or bumped at any point while the machine was on? That could cause it to not know the true location of the head and cause it to overshoot to its limits.

If you have a piece of draftboard, you might run a Gift of Good Measure test as far to the right as you can run it.

1 Like

Could you try a test for me? Please do the following:

1. Restart your Glowforge.
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place the Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good Measure on the far right edge of the bed using the default settings.
  3. Take a photo of the print and let us know how it goes!

Thank you in advance,

I powered the system off, powered back on and ran the gift of measure as far to the right as it would permit. It did not encounter the same issue. However, the general shift to the left seems to be getting worse. If you look at the image, the actual cut is over 1/2 inch to the left from where it is displayed in the work space.

Can you take a picture of the white cable that runs inside the laser arm?
(Looking to see if it is kinked or twisted.)

It does not appear to be kinked or twisted. I have attached a picture.

Nope, that looks good. (It was a long shot.) You might also want to check to see if the screw heads there in the channel are screwed all the way in…maybe something is hitting one and knocking the position information out of whack.

You’re having the exact same issue that I am. Same leftward leaning with stair-stepped edges. You can see the post I just listed.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.