Printable area a bit small compared to advertised specs

Got my first proof grade shipment today. Tossed a piece on to try and thought it was pretty cool that it perfectly fit it horizontally, right to the edges. Then the bed image came up and I was surprised to see the wood go out past the allowable area. Ok, I know that the tech specs state:

Cutting area: 11.5″ (290 mm) deep and 20″ (515 mm) wide

So I did some marking and measuring of what the available space is (see attached pics) and found that the area that I am allowed to print is 10.75" x 18". Is this expected behavior?

If I leave the board flat and only use the available space, I loose 1.4" of material on the left and 1" on the right. If I move the board one way or the other, it is now at an angle, being up on the lip of the honeycomb and edge of the tray. I understand that is not good for accuracy if I am using the whole board.

My primary use for this is to cut out entire sheets of items at the same time, so I can’t set it on the lip and have the angle and only print part of it to be able to use the edge. So am I just out of luck on that outer edge of material?

On the lip or not, available area not being as advertised reduces the number of items I can cut at a time. I had planned to put 15 into the 20x11.5 going right to the edge of that space, and now can only put 6 into the 18x10.75. That is a HUGE reduction in volume for me.

Am I hosed or is there hope?

Gonna have to trust the measurements. I had 3 more images to attach showing how I got the values, but I am only allowed 1 picture as a new user apparently.

1 Like

The list of things that are still being worked on and that you accepted when you agreed to have your Glowforge sent to you, mentioned that the full spec’d bed area is not yet usable.

The area available for cutting is a bit larger than the area for engraving, which is what you are finding in that picture. This is due to needing to decelerate at each end of an engraving scan line.

Thanks for the answer @johnse, that’s right.

Your Glowforge can currently print up to 11 x 19.5 in. Engravings take extra room to speed up and slow down, so the area may be a bit smaller. We’re working on software improvements that will increase the printable area.

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!