Printer Head Broken

A few weeks ago, I contacted support because my lens fell out of my printer head during a job and cracked. Of course, while waiting on my lens to arrive for a week, I opened the printer head and realized the mirror was also damaged. I then had to wait another week.

I’ve been reluctant to try to put my lens or mirror inside the printer carriage- turns out I was right, my lens will not stay inside the printer head whatsoever. There has to be something wrong with the printer head. Frustration is an understatement, as I specified this was the problem in all of my emails with support from the beginning, but was just directed to where I could purchase new parts. So now I’ve bought the new lens and mirror and I’m sitting here with a machine that won’t work for the same reasons and out $150. What is the answer for this?

The answer is likely a trip back to Glowforge for repair, unfortunately. Are you still in warranty?

That’s what I was afraid of. I’m not in warranty anymore, no.

Ohhhh sorry. The shipping on that stings for sure. :anguished:

3 Likes

That printer head could be shipped without needing the whole machine.

1 Like

Maybe not. I’m pretty sure they have to calibrate the printer head to the machine. :neutral_face:

Correct. It has to go back to GF for calibration:

1 Like

Absolutely- I live in Hawaii so it’s already a nightmare to ship anything.

I have to agree with you here. The calibration answer seems absurd when the part is easily removed from the machine.

2 Likes

Thank you- I didn’t see this thread when I was searching :woman_facepalming:t3:

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve run into trouble, but I appreciate your providing all of these great details. Your focusing lens does move inside of the head, but it should still correctly stay seated when printing is not occurring.

I’d like to review the bottom of your Printer Head with the lens not installed, to see what could be causing the lens to not properly stay in place. Could you send over a picture similar to this:

I would like to check over just a few more things. Could you take a picture of the following?:

The bottom of the printer head, but without the focusing lens installed.

Once I can review this image, I’ll send over the next best steps.

1 Like

Hi Marc, hoping to get answers today. I’ve been down for several weeks now and I would like a solution to move forward. I understand you guys don’t use phones but waiting days between messages (as has been my experience via email tech support) is really frustrating and counterintuitive.

Again, still waiting for a response.

i feel your pain.

My sincere apologies about our slow reply. Thank you for posting that photo for us. Unfortunately, it appears that we aren’t going to be able to solve this remotely.

I have just followed up by email with the next steps to send your Glowforge in for repair. I’m so sorry about the bad news.