Printer head mirror

I hope I am posting this in the correct spot. I read through all the FAQ, support, and forums related to my issue. I did send an email as well, but because I read that the quickest way to get a response is here, I am also going to do that. I am 100% positive I need the printer head mirror replaced. I’m not sure if it’s covered under warranty or not, and actually dont care about that. I was just wondering if there’s any way I can get one overnighted to me. I am still piled high with Christmas orders and do not want to refund all these people their money. Can someone please assist me?

Sorry, I can’t help you get the replacement, but I can help you prevent it from happening again.

The function of the windows, mirror, and lens is to transmit the beam energy. If there is residue on the optics, it gives the energy a place to be deposited. That’s what happened to your mirror.
Clean optics is the first rule of lasers.

I have found the first to get dirty is the window under the left side. Shine a light on it and any deposit will easily show up. I check that window almost every time I use the machine. That window needs cleaning most often. I clean the window on the head at the same time. The mirror and lens need cleaning much less often.

Good Luck with getting a new mirror!

6 Likes

I keep one of each lens on hand and have this lens brand new and wrapped. DM your address and I can let you know what the cost would be for me to drop it in the mail tomorrow for overnight shipping and I will just order a new one from GF.

Just in the future, I recommend having a spare of basic lenses. Also, for sure keep up with the cleaning like @PrintToLaser said.

FYI, this is the lens: Printer Head Mirror | Glowforge

10 Likes

Stepping up and taking one for the team, well done!

4 Likes

Honestly, I’ve never posted on this forum before and I did not expect anyone to be of help. But the amount of people offering me support is amazing. Also…lessened learned. Don’t get lazy about cleaning that machine. It’s a busy time of year and my glowforge really goes for hours at a time to keep up. It works hard. I should really take the time to do maintenance on the entire machine and not just quickly clean it. Learn from me folks. It’s not a good time to have a machine down.

7 Likes

lol thanks. Well with 2 machines I figure having a spare would be useful. Almost 2 years and never yet needed any of my spare parts. Glad the mirror is getting use I guess :slight_smile:

@ashley_scott07, I like upfront users like you :slight_smile: And ya, I feel ya on having the machine just constantly run. Mine has been a champ for sure.

3 Likes

Well, you have just stumbled into the best accessory for your laser - just like I did.
This community is amazing Ashley, we are a very diverse gathering of disciplines that all have this tool in common. I wandered in here with zero knowledge of lasers or CNC. I am continually amazed by what I learn from these people.
If you want to understand your machine, ever need help with anything related - or not, You’re in the right place. Welcome.

7 Likes

All thanks to MyDogsThinkImCrazy. I’m getting my part and the Christmas madness will ensue! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE! Let’s continue creating and making people happy for a few more days, and then I’m taking a vacation🤣

5 Likes

Well earned. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble @ashley_scott07.

It sounds like you were able to get some support from @MyDogsThinkImCrazy, that’s excellent!

In the future, you can purchase additional spare parts on our website here: https://shop.glowforge.com/collections/spare-parts/country:us

Since you have a solution, I’m going to close this thread and your other email ticket. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!