Printer Head not moving stuck on focusing

Please help. We’ve tried everything on the forums. Cleaned GF, turned on to make a cut, loaded wood- sent image to cut, it moved around like it was cutting but nothing was cut. Turned off made sure everything was like supposed to be, turned back on- print head not starting up, (don’t hear the click sound) screen says focusing. Have turned off WiFi and even reset Wifi. Have turned off and restarted computer. Please help we have over 50 orders to get out and I am in tears .

Welcome to the community, we’ll do our best to get you sorted until a staff member gets here (most likely on Tuesday).

On and moving but not cutting, and then not focusing could be a loss of connection with the printer head. There is a white cable that connects the head to the rest of the machine. With the machine off, try disconnecting the white cable and reconnecting. While you’ve got it off you might take a picture of both ends, make sure none of the pins are bent.

2 Likes

Nothing appears to be bent.

1 Like

The print head isn’t moving at all. When we power on it doesn’t even do the click sounds.

1 Like

Can you try using your phone as a hot spot to see if perhaps your wifi is the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip- we just tried that and it didn’t work.

1 Like

If you haven’t already tried this I recommend it because I had similar happen once and it was because I had clicked on manual settings and it changed it to power 1. Delete your design from your dashboard completely and re-upload it, if possible with a different name. Make sure the settings are correct and not down at power 1!

1 Like

When you say you tried using your phone as a hot spot and it didn’t work, did the Glowforge connect and stay online but still wouldn’t focus or were you not successful connecting using your phone?

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. Here is pict of the settings. Any ideas on how to get the printer head to move? Or does it sound like it maybe needs replaced?

2 Likes

We have connected to the hotspot on the phone and it still says focusing.

1 Like

Okay so this screenshot confirms that it is a different problem to what I was experiencing. However have you tried inputting the focus height manually? I’m a fairly new owner myself so haven’t got much troubleshooting knowledge.

When we turn on , the screen goes straight to focusing. It doesn’t center, scan or anything. We took the board out that was in, cleared history and cookies on computer, when we start open browser- it still shows a piece of wood there?

1 Like

Might be stuck. Turn off the Glowforge, then your computer, then your router. Wait a minute, then turn on your router and let it boot up completely. Then turn the computer on and let it boot up completely. Last, turn on the Glowforge and let it complete it’s startup routine before you open up the app.

(I know you said you tried that, but you have to do it in that order.)

2 Likes

Mine does that and sometimes it’s quite slow sorting itself out, but I haven’t had the problem where it just doesn’t resolve it.

1 Like

Thank you, just tried this and still nothing. :sob:

There is a checklist you can run through here to rule out other issues…I’d recommend doing them all again, even if you’ve already run them once. Sometimes it’s an ISP issue and it resolves after a few hours.

1 Like

@w3j thank you for your cooperation on your email ticket! After going through all the troubleshooting steps, I believe the new printer head we will be sending you under warranty will help resolve the trouble. We will send instructions for setting up the new Printer Head through email, let us know how it goes once the new part arrives!

2 Likes