PrintingToLaser!

Thank you :sunglasses:
Heā€™s going to look good on almost anything, but my mindā€™s eye sees leather for some reason.
The maple proofgrade looked really good, but flat black spray paint in the engrave gives a nice contrast.

This is where material masking shows itā€™s power, the laser cuts it perfectly. Paint and peel. Done.

2 Likes

Sure, be reasonable about it all!

2 Likes

Na, donā€™t let the guilt get you, the rest of us will catch up soon enough! :smile:

2 Likes

OMGā€¦ I wouldnā€™t be able to think/eat/sleep/do anything. I give you 5,000,000 pts for the most amazing will power!

6 Likes

It was Terrible :persevere:.

6 Likes

There, thereā€¦ Glowforge will take away all of your troubles now.

11 Likes

Congratulations!

Sorry for the delay in responding to this post, itā€™s been just crazy for me the past week between work, purchasing a new workshop and a new to me used 1966 F250 in Denver (restoration project).

I was excited to see your first post with the GF and your creations. I was expecting to see unique and wonderful things from you and you did not disappoint.

4 Likes

Vanished instantly.
Been a long time since I felt like a child again on Christmas morning!

5 Likes

Thank you!
Have fun with the restoration :sunglasses:

1 Like

I knew you were in for a prerelease. You are an artist of many mediums and you have the heart of an engineer. Congratulations. Your first prints are stunners

7 Likes

Thank you! :grin:
I may have the heart of an engineer, but itā€™s too bad I donā€™t have the education that goes along with it! (I do have the scars that attest to that. School of hard knocks. :sweat:)[quote=ā€œcmreeder, post:66, topic:6965ā€]
Your first prints are stunners
[/quote]
The machine did all the work, Iā€™m just fumbling my way around. Good that the system is intuitive! :+1:
Greatly eases my introduction into a tech new to me!

9 Likes

I have to agree on both counts! :wink:

6 Likes

Also really good that there are so many here that stand ready to help! The value of that canā€™t be overstated.:sunglasses:

8 Likes

Youā€™d be an honor student in my classes, as far as Iā€™m concerned!

2 Likes

Thank you, thatā€™s very kind.
I dropped out of school in the 10th grade because joining the Navy, seeing the world and working on jets sounded much more appealing than going back to school. I wasnā€™t smart enough to realize you never get out of school, itā€™s just the classroom that changes.

Dad died when I was one, and my Mother - God knows she tried, but that woman had her hands full with me. Never bothered me that I chose that path until I toured the Colorado School of Mines with my Son, then it hit me. Thatā€™s where I belonged all those years ago. I told him "If you can get into this school, and get through it, you will have a downhill swing on a career. He showed Dad how itā€™s done. :sunglasses:

Actually @dan taught me a new word here - autodidact. Man, that sounds a lot better than high school drop out!

What subject(s) do you teach Scott?

16 Likes

Structural and mechanical engineering topics mainly. Also mechatronics at an entry level (called a ā€œdiscovery courseā€ where I learn at the same time as my students!). Now that Iā€™m retired, I only teach senior capstone design courses, where industry sponsors pose problems important to them, and teams of 3-4 seniors solve the problems while I look over their shoulders as a faculty advisor.

11 Likes

What a great approach to teaching, a challenge. ā€œSee if you can find a solution.ā€ Good prep for life, and for the teacher not the same old cut and dried curriculum. I bet you enjoyed that, watching those wheels turn. :+1:

4 Likes

Yes, they get such a tremendous sense of accomplishment and self confidence as engineers. Itā€™s a very rewarding course to teach, although ā€œteachingā€ is really more like simply nudging them one way or another if I think they are straying from a productive path.

School of Mines is a great school. I just visited last summer while vacationing in Golden. Congratulations to your son on his success there!

3 Likes

OK Morgan, I have fumbled around enough now to have a fundamental grasp of the machine and the UI. :nerd:

If you are willing to make the drive just to push that button, I have a couple of pieces of 20x12 1/8" Proofgrade maple with your name on them! :sunglasses:
If itā€™s not too much trouble, please do bring the Cintique so I can see how you use it.
Bring a few files you would like to print in that maple, and if the Leather Woman has an idea she would like to try, we can learn that together!
I recommend a scrap too so we can dial that material in. :+1:

7 Likes

It will scan directly from a tablet! Holy rusted metal Batman!

4 Likes