PrintingToLaser!

There, there… Glowforge will take away all of your troubles now.

11 Likes

Congratulations!

Sorry for the delay in responding to this post, it’s been just crazy for me the past week between work, purchasing a new workshop and a new to me used 1966 F250 in Denver (restoration project).

I was excited to see your first post with the GF and your creations. I was expecting to see unique and wonderful things from you and you did not disappoint.

4 Likes

Vanished instantly.
Been a long time since I felt like a child again on Christmas morning!

5 Likes

Thank you!
Have fun with the restoration :sunglasses:

1 Like

I knew you were in for a prerelease. You are an artist of many mediums and you have the heart of an engineer. Congratulations. Your first prints are stunners

7 Likes

Thank you! :grin:
I may have the heart of an engineer, but it’s too bad I don’t have the education that goes along with it! (I do have the scars that attest to that. School of hard knocks. :sweat:)[quote=“cmreeder, post:66, topic:6965”]
Your first prints are stunners
[/quote]
The machine did all the work, I’m just fumbling my way around. Good that the system is intuitive! :+1:
Greatly eases my introduction into a tech new to me!

9 Likes

I have to agree on both counts! :wink:

6 Likes

Also really good that there are so many here that stand ready to help! The value of that can’t be overstated.:sunglasses:

8 Likes

You’d be an honor student in my classes, as far as I’m concerned!

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s very kind.
I dropped out of school in the 10th grade because joining the Navy, seeing the world and working on jets sounded much more appealing than going back to school. I wasn’t smart enough to realize you never get out of school, it’s just the classroom that changes.

Dad died when I was one, and my Mother - God knows she tried, but that woman had her hands full with me. Never bothered me that I chose that path until I toured the Colorado School of Mines with my Son, then it hit me. That’s where I belonged all those years ago. I told him "If you can get into this school, and get through it, you will have a downhill swing on a career. He showed Dad how it’s done. :sunglasses:

Actually @dan taught me a new word here - autodidact. Man, that sounds a lot better than high school drop out!

What subject(s) do you teach Scott?

16 Likes

Structural and mechanical engineering topics mainly. Also mechatronics at an entry level (called a “discovery course” where I learn at the same time as my students!). Now that I’m retired, I only teach senior capstone design courses, where industry sponsors pose problems important to them, and teams of 3-4 seniors solve the problems while I look over their shoulders as a faculty advisor.

11 Likes

What a great approach to teaching, a challenge. “See if you can find a solution.” Good prep for life, and for the teacher not the same old cut and dried curriculum. I bet you enjoyed that, watching those wheels turn. :+1:

4 Likes

Yes, they get such a tremendous sense of accomplishment and self confidence as engineers. It’s a very rewarding course to teach, although “teaching” is really more like simply nudging them one way or another if I think they are straying from a productive path.

School of Mines is a great school. I just visited last summer while vacationing in Golden. Congratulations to your son on his success there!

3 Likes

OK Morgan, I have fumbled around enough now to have a fundamental grasp of the machine and the UI. :nerd:

If you are willing to make the drive just to push that button, I have a couple of pieces of 20x12 1/8" Proofgrade maple with your name on them! :sunglasses:
If it’s not too much trouble, please do bring the Cintique so I can see how you use it.
Bring a few files you would like to print in that maple, and if the Leather Woman has an idea she would like to try, we can learn that together!
I recommend a scrap too so we can dial that material in. :+1:

7 Likes

It will scan directly from a tablet! Holy rusted metal Batman!

4 Likes