Prints are way off is there something wrong with my glowforge?

As far as not cutting through, the solution I used was switching to manual cut and dropping the laser height by .005 and slowing the cut speed by .10.
I’m not sure if that is the right solution but it works.

I don’t think being level matters much. If your surface has a slight inline it isn’t going to have much effect but if it is not a flat plane it will twist the machine and change its geometry.

Mine is off by about that much. I’ve had support check it twice. They assure me that it is both normal and will be repaired by software in the near future. I believe the 1/4 inch only applies to the direct center. Some are very accurate in the center. I think it has to do with how the door shuts and that software will eventually calibrate the camera for those differences. I think they are all of a little as you move out of the center. That is purely conjecture though.

That is not my understanding. Weren’t we told “up to 1/4 inch” anywhere on the bed?

2 Likes

I was assuming that because mine is more than a half inch off on the outsides and I’ve had it checked twice and both times they assured me it was within the limits.

1 Like
1 Like

Maybe they just want to check everything over 1/4 inch because there could be other problems? I was assured that this problem will be resolved in the future with software and that a new unit was not required. I remember reading somewhere that they had recorded the precise measurements for each machine as it was going out? Maybe they use them to calibrate the cameras in the future? But that seems super labor intensive and kind of a ridiculous way to solve the issue. My guess is there will be some kind of full bed print which is used to calibrate the camera. I imagine that patch is a ways out because it is so complicated. It’s a huge pain and kind of a critical issue so I’m sure they have lots of resources devoted to it. Albeit, a bigger issue for some of us than others.

I got this leaked preview of the Glowforge Mark II front panel.

10 Likes

This is really depressing. Alignment like that is where they should have been 2 years ago, not on a full production machine. This is the feature that sold me on the Glowforge, and something it should shine on. Hopefully it’s a firmware issue, and they can resolve it for you today. or they send you a replacement.

3 Likes

Sorry to see you’re having this issue.

As others have stated, you should expect to see no more than 1/4" variance, and that should be at the extremes of the bed. In your case you’re clearly seeing 1/2" variances. Something’s wrong. We know they can apply hotfixes to correct some lens distortion. Hopefully that’s all it’ll take for you! I look forward to seeing you running as expected!

Thank you so much for the details. I’m looking into it now.

Unfortunately, I’ve determined that this is an issue we aren’t able to solve remotely. I recommend a warranty replacement and will reach out to you via email with the details. I’m sorry for the bad news.