Pro Passthrough Release

So, a ruler and a piece of tape is all it took. Stick it to the side of the crumb tray 3" from the front, and you’re done. Save your weekend for something else?

1 Like

But I have a LASER. but seriously I likely would have some marked blue tape on the side of either the crumb tray or on the infeed table next to the material.

the design is for what I’m using the pass through FOR. not the ruler. :slight_smile:

I am prototyping the sign that will go across the stage in our basement

So with 4 realignments, it still comes up as “cannot align” and this is the quality of the cut. I defiantly feel lied to when I purchased the pro only for the pass-through and cannot get it to work even on a circle. Support is no help at all and cannot even get them to answer me. I am extremely dissatisfied with this product.

I wonder if maybe you’re stretching the limits of the overlap area. Hard to tell from the photos exactly but are you leaving just 3" or a bit more than that of the previously cut area in the bed? I’ve only had a chance to test this a handful of times but all the cuts and alignments have been shockingly perfect so far. I’ve been leaving 3.5-4" overlap (marked the side of my crumbtray with a piece of tape at 3" for consistency and always leave some more out of laziness)

Also, I don’t see any pins in your photos - are you pinning the material down so it’s perfectly flat? Even the slightest warp can really screw up any alignment situations, passthrough beta or regular cuts.

1 Like

Hi everyone, we’ve made improvements to auto-alignment to make it more successful and more accurate.

Let us know how it goes! We really appreciate all your survey responses and feedback so far.

3 Likes

Yes, I showed the ruler on one photo, its about 4-5 inches remaining in the bed to give the camera more area of the previous cut to ensure that it can be properly read but is unable to read it if I show 1 inch or 5! As for the pinning of the board down, the board is not warped and is held down from the other end of the feed tray. No matter how hard I try or what ever shape, it never aligns automatically. I tried with a straight line before too, still nothing! I have so many things I would like to try but they are more elaborate. There is no point trying a big object that takes 40 minutes when I cant even cut a straight line or a circle.

Penelope, as a staff member can you attest to the success rate of pass through because right now I cannot get a single cut to work and this is my second unit(this one is having quality issues as well as my last one).

I do not want to return it, but it is feeling like this device is not worth the cost or the hassle if it cannot work like it was advertised and promised and if it does not work, I will be switching to a different laser cutter because I have yet to have a completed project and the customer service I have gotten from support has been pretty awful.

I’m having a pretty major issue and was hoping to get some assistance. I’m new to passthrough. I recently had it activated on my machine. Here’s the issue I’m experiencing:

1. I insert object to cut, then select a custom profile on the left (ie. hardboard, 180/FP).
  2. I do a manual focus, then align objects.
  3. I click Print…

However, after I click Print, I see different cutting settings on the left that are NOT what I selected. The speed is always different. If I select 180/Full, I see 184/Full, and it never cuts all the way through the wood. If I select 225/Full, I see 231/Full. If I select 200/64, I see 204/64. Why does it do this??? Furthermore, and I think this issue is more serious, is that the focus goes completely out of whack. As soon as it starts printing, the lines are super thick, and they leave more than usualy burn marks. Because the focus is so off, it barely cuts half way through the 1/8" wood. As soon as I disable passthrough, everything continues to work perfectly again.

The first pic below shows my screen prior to clicking the Print button. The 2nd shows after clicking it.

Interesting. I assume this doesn’t happen when passthrough is not selected?

No it doesn’t. Just to test, I just tried changing the original profile settings from 180 to 176 to see what happens. After I hit print, it changed to 179, but it STILL didn’t cut all the way through! Not even close actually. Normally outside of passthrough it always cuts all the way through at 180. And I noticed the cut lines in the wood are REALLY thick (the kerf is huge), indicating that the focus seems really off. But it’s not, because I have it set to auto focus.

2 Likes

Wide cut path and not cutting thru definitely indicates a focus issue. This is also only when passthrough is selected, and it cuts fine when not?

That should be pretty easy for them to track down and fix.

Yes, it’s only when passthrough is enabled. Otherwise everything cuts fine.

1 Like

Were these saved settings that you modified or something? Or full custom or what?

Not sure what the difference is, but these are the settings that I have under “CUSTOM” that I’ve been using for months. I derive them from existing custom profiles by clicking the “Save” icon at the top and give it a new name.

Right. My thinking is that if you started with a saved named profile and then went in and manually changed it without re-saving that switching to passthrough might revert it back to the saved values or something strange like that.

Good guess, but this isn’t the case here, as I haven’t saved anything new for months. It’s the same saved profile with the same setting that I’ve been using for months, and I haven’t made any changes to the profile.

While attempting pass through again today, The “aligning, please wait up to 5 minutes for this” has been frozen on my screen for about 15 minutes now. I have gone from having bad alignment to now having projects only be half complete due to your new update.

Hi everyone,

After choosing to align manually or cancel a Pro Passthrough print during auto-alignment, you may have had to press cancel a few times in order to end the print. We have a fix for this going out today – refresh your browser to get the update.

We’ll continue to post updates in this thread as they become available.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi,

@penelope @dan We signed up for the pass through beta about a month ago. Any word on when we can start using it? We’ve got some long jobs piling up!

Thanks,
Steve and Bob

Yesterday while doing a passthrough print, it was stuck on the auto alignment for 35 minutes before I cancelled the print. Before cancelling, I refreshed the page a couple times (which disabled the passthrough feature), but as soon as I enabled it, it went right back to the auto alignment, and continued to be stuck there until I cancelled it.
It was on July 4th, around 10pm EST.

To be clear, "making it work for every one " vs “making it work for everyone you can” is a matter of significant import to those who have struggled with this feature since the beta started. It is clear from your comments that all machines are not created equal wrt this feature. We are well into this beta now, many patches, some goodly tips on increasing the odds of success, yet my batting average is not improving. I would like a bit of transparency on this.

How many pro machines are not up the task?
What is the root cause of this?
Could it be addressed via an upgrade?
What is your plan for making those pro owners with defective hardware whole?

4 Likes