Pro Passthrough Release

UPDATE: This issue has been resolved, so Pro Passthrough prints should be back to normal. Thank you so much for your patience.

Hi everyone,

The team is investigating an issue that is currently affecting Pro Passthrough beta software, starting on Saturday, 7/18/2020 at approx. 12:01am (Pacific time). Until this is fixed, we expect that all prints using Pro Passthrough will fail after the first section is printed.

When the issue is resolved, we will update https://statuspage.glowforge.com/, and I will also follow up in this thread.

6 Likes

Following up from my previous post: This issue has been resolved, so Pro Passthrough prints should be back to normal. Thank you so much for your patience.

4 Likes

Thank you, Penelope, for updating us on this. Iā€™m glad I can now resume using this important feature, and Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone!

Tried this for the first time. It was seriously like magic! The only suggestion is that the dotted line at the top where it chops the image was too light for me to see against my material. Maybe a colored line would work better?

Also, a survey didnā€™t pop up for me when I was done with the print.

1 Like

Please, come on, audio cues when the passthrough process needs your attention. It would make things so much more usable.

Especially because the ā€œaligningā€ stage is taking a very long time today. Like way longer than usual. It hasnā€™t failed on me yet, but itā€™s so long I canā€™t even tell you the exact amount of time because Iā€™m not going to sit there for ten minutes. HENCE the request for audio cues, this is terrible.

2 Likes

Oh great, now it failed. I spoke too soon.

Uncool. I canā€™t think of a good way to resume this, the entire thing is blown. Materials and time wasted. That ā€œtry againā€ message seems a bit off, try what again, exactly?

1 Like

I successfully completed a couple long passthrough cuts today but as mentioned above the aligning stage took forever. I kept thinking it was going to fail but it would finally load and continue. I will say, the alignment was perfect.
However, as I mentioned a few days ago when my passthrough beta is on I can not cut through material, at allā€¦ with beta off, it cuts fine. I changed the focus to .001 and slowed my speed a little as suggested by malek1979m and I then it could cut through pretty good.

I succesfully completed a passthrough cut on transparant acrylic. Before cutting I took off one layer of transparant foil and replaced it with regular transfer tape (the same stuff proofgrade use) so the cuts would show up better for passthrough alignment. Worked like a charm. Iā€™m glad I get to use this more often and am almost convinced I can offer the function to clients (oversize projects)

I signed up for the beta months ago - I was one of those who waited a really long time to get a Glowforge Pro so I can cut out larger objects.
@ Glowforge Staff: Can you please add me to the passthrough beta and / or clarify the situation how long itā€™s going to take until we all get the full functionality?

1 Like

Itā€™s been covered many times in this discussion, not all machines are suitable for the beta. You can speculate as to why, but those arenā€™t details a development team can share. Their goal is to make the final version work for as many machines as possible.

Similarly, nobody at Glowforge can commit to when unfinished features will be available. Theyā€™ve been working on this one since the machine was first released.

1 Like

I wanted to add more to the issue I posted about in the past, where after enabling Pro Passthrough, the machineā€™s focus would be way off and doesnā€™t cut all the way through unless I set manual focus for individual cuts to 0.001mm. This time I had a cut that was divided into 3 sections. I forgot to set focus to 0.001mm and left it on Auto. To my surprise, the first 2 sections cut perfectly, but after shifting the material to start cutting the 3rd section, the focus was completely thrown off, the kerf was very thick, and nothing was cutting through. There was a score operation in between the cuts, which scored perfectly, but there were 2 cut operations, and both of them cut as if the focus was set to 12mm or something (again, only on the 3rd pass). One of the attached pictures shows the reverse side of the wood. The entire blank part of the wood has cuts all over it on the other side, and if you look closely you can just barely make out little dots indicating the corners of all the cuts that just barely made it all the way through. The other picture shows where the focus got thrown off and the kerf increased noticeably. Iā€™ve highlighted the most obvious part as it connects to a previous cut, but of course all the little rectangles havenā€™t cut. You can also notice all the excess burn marks on the cuts that donā€™t make it all the way through the wood.
I donā€™t know if it matters, but this is the first time I position the project to be cut at the very top of the machine, so that the first pass will complete in a short amount of time, and subsequent passes will take up the bulk of the cuts, so that if the 1st pass fails, at least I wouldnā€™t have wasted too much wood. But the main reason I mention this, is that I noticed that when I have Pro Passthrough disabled, I have focus issues in the bottom left of the machine. Kerf lines are always noticeably thicker there, even though it usually cuts all the way through. I donā€™t know if this is related.
This was at around 7am on July 26th.

I just cut 3 of the same thing, large 28" by 18" rectangles and now im back to getting the same error of print unsuccessful after the first cut.

I turned machine off, restarted and logged out of everything but no change. still 1 - 3 min cut and then unsuccessful.

Any way to fix this I need to cut 6 more of them.

I know this was an issue last week but Iā€™m still having it

I am trying to use the beta. I have used it before. Now it just says print unsuccesful. It will not cut anything, even on the first try, and the design disappears. I see others on pages have had the same issue, going back 6 days.

For the benefit of folks thinking the whole thing is broken, I was curious seeing people post these errors, so just ran a basic print myself on some scrap cardboard. Technically would fit on the bed in one go, but I ran it vertically split twice (three prints). All auto align - Iā€™ve never used anything else. If you click on the first pic, then you can use the arrow keys to ā€œscrollā€ thru and see the before/after pics (camera was not moved while printing.)

First break (between first and second print):

ā€¦ and after second print:

Material moved down a few inches:

ā€¦ and after third print:

Whole piece:

6 Likes

Looks awesome :heart:

I have had issues with this also. My first cut was perfect but the second and third cuts did not cut through. The alignment worked perfectly. Why would it change how it cuts. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this.

For those of you who are having trouble with second and third cuts - are you making sure that you have the material pinned down FLAT across the grid area? It really doesnā€™t take much bowing to cause an incomplete cut, and the weight of the material hanging out the front and back can cause bowing.

Make sure itā€™s pinned down tight, tight, tight. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I struggled with the software a few weeks ago. Their improvements seem to have fixed these issues. I have managed 2 large pieces with one failure along the way.

3 Likes

When using the passthrough beta, it does the first cut and takes the pictures when the cut is done. I then move the material , close the lid, hit continue, but it does nothing. It will not align the next cut. Itā€™s not moving to attempt to align. Itā€™s been doing this for about an hour now. Please help.

Same here. Did one successful print, tried again and it gets stuck after the first cut. It tells me to shift material forward, then tells me to shift material forward, then tells me to shift material forwardā€¦I move the material around every time after shifting it forward on the first message. This could be endless. HELP!

EDIT: On second look, it seems to never take a picture of the shifted material. The image is the image after the first cut, never updating. Align Manually button does nothing. Still HELP!