Pro Passthrough Release

No, all of the Pro machines will have it. There was some concern that older machines might not work as well, but i have it on one of the First Production Run models, and it works perfectly. Several other folks in the initial test group were also early buyers I believe.

They might have gotten enough beta testers, but just sit tight until they work the last of the bugs out and it will be released to all the Pro machines.

that sound?

is my fingers crossing. :slight_smile:

work is shut down so I will actually have more time to GF than ordinary. my alternative is yard work. to the tune of 8 hours yesterday. much nicer feeding stuff into Beamer. LOL

1 Like

OK Awesome I really need this feature! I do the big stuff mostly hand cutting up this design to feed it through was not a fun or quick task

12 Likes

Looks great! (And Iā€™ll bet that was a challenge.) :smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m just pulling this out of myā€¦ thin air. But we do know from previous discussions that there is a calibration process at the factory where they capture all sorts of data from each individual machine using some kind of precision test fixtures. That data can later be processed to help train the image processing algorithms to do things like improve image placement or automatically align passthrough jobs. My speculation is that, because Glowforge has been shipping machines for several years now, and the passthrough software came fairly late in that process, their calibration process has evolved over time. They are probably getting better data now than they did early on, and they know now what kinds of things influence their ability to do automatic alignment. They might even have to run different versions of the AI model to train different ā€œgenerationsā€ of machines. It would make sense to focus on the current ones and work their way back through more and more difficult cases, hopefully until they get them all working.

5 Likes

It reminds me of this picture from the Tesla factory. Machine vision is complicated. Every car is going to have slight differences in how its cameras are aligned and how they perform, so they have to stick it in front of some targets to calibrate it. Same idea with the Glowforge.

7 Likes

That is actually similar to how we calibrate cameras on spacecraft too. :slight_smile:

We use more targets.

12 Likes

Thank you for this! I have been hoping for an easy to use feature like this!

Just a thought. If thereā€™s an issue with the older cameras resolution, like someone mentioned above, would it be easier for you guys to get it to track a strip of coded tape? If there was a strip of tape applied down the center of the material, with a bar or QR code pattern on it, the camera might have an easier time with that than picking up the fine cut, or score lines. It could use the tape to align the angle and track the movement.

You guys may have thought of that already, but I figured that it didnā€™t hurt to mention it.

1 Like

UPDATED:
Ok, so I got the chance to move my machine this morning to test this awesome feature. Excitement was short livedā€¦ the first time. User error on part of it, system non-alignment for the other part. The second time the machine did pretty much what I expected from the pass through slot. YEAH!!!

Feedback from overall use:
Hang tight to the left side not the right. It worked perfectly hanging to the left side rail but didnā€™t on the right side rail. The score lines were a hair off, but since it is being painted it is fine. The cut lines were perfectly aligned. Soā€¦ I am happy to report that the second test showed that the beta pass through feature does work when you donā€™t have user error. Now back to sign making. Thanks for everyone that helped me today! I would still like to try with cardboard or other types of materials than wood, but going and getting stuff is not an option at the moment. Excited about this feature and canā€™t wait to make even bigger things!

1 Like

No score therefore of course alignment canā€™t workā€” thereā€™s nothing for the camera to align to.

Get your scoring sorted out and try again. My guess if you accidentally set your power to 1, but youā€™ve given almost no info so thatā€™s just a guess.

2 Likes

If you moved it to a new table or cart, you might want to rerun the calibration routine since the case flex is likely different than it was when you did it in the last place the GF was in.

1 Like

Same table just 3 inches forward.

It was actually set to engrave on my normal saved settings. I did say score but meant engrave. As soon as pass through beta was selected my engrave lines completely disappeared from the screen. I wasnā€™t sure if that was a fluke so ran with it. Should have trusted my gut because they didnā€™t engrave. I may not be a super experienced user yet but do have my settings dialed in for engrave and cut on a 1/4 inch piece so I know I did that right.

So youā€™ve got a design file that is too big for the bed and the UI initially says ā€œNo Artworkā€ right?

Then you go up to the menubar and you select Passthrough (beta) does the No Artwork message disappear and the design change from gray to colored?

Thatā€™s when your engrave lines disappear?

Iā€™ve done a bunch of engrave passthroughs with the auto-alignment about 3ft long - no real cuts though. Iā€™ve had a couple of issues but not missing engraves.

Would you be comfortable posting the file or sending it to me in a PM?

1 Like

Sent you a PM. So I turned everything back on and here is what is happening no matter what order I do it. I start with a blank slate (nothing on the screen workspace in the design space). You are right it says No Artwork. Then I upload my design. Still No Artwork because it is too big. Then I can select beta pass through or go set my cut/engrave settings. As soon as I set the engrave settings for the inside cross marks the engrave piece disappears off the canvas into never never land. I have tried it several times and my engrave lines just disappear no mater which order I do things. :confused:

EDIT: One thing I noticed was if I change them from Engrave back to Cut they show back up. But if I change them back to engrave they disappear again.

Kite

Could it be that your engrave settings are outside the area where engraving is possible? This can be a smaller area than cutting and i believe is influenced by the engrave speed settings. (see posts on the new engrave speeds for more on this).

I am not sure I understand. The engraving is inside the cut area and the cut part doesnā€™t seem to change. I will take a look at the engrave speed settings, but does this mean that settings I have used before for engrave would no longer work? Sorry for not following. I just want to try and make sure if I have ā€œsaved settingsā€ that they donā€™t get rendered randomly useless if that makes sense.

With this being said I did shrink the design to well under the design space maximum size and when I selected engrave it again disappeared. So you may be right that the new engrave speed settings changed my defaults to not work anymore.

the engrave area may be smaller than the available cut area depending on your engrave settings.
look to see if your engrave is in fact, outside of the indicated area. or slow down your engrave speed (and turn down the power accordingly) to see if that helps. For example, an engrave speed of 4000 will have a much smaller allowed area vs a speed of 1000.

More on this here

The inside cross piece lines are just lines - they donā€™t have width (to the GF) so they canā€™t engrave, they can only cut or score. Thatā€™s nothing to do with the Passthrough, thatā€™s just the way the GF handles things. If you turn them into an object with fill, they work as engraves. Just make them very skinny rectangles in effect.

The diamond has both an outline stroke and a fill. You can engrave, score or cut. But since itā€™s the cut, the fill is superfluous.

Ok, so THANK YOU for your help! That was it the score lines did work. The cut was flawless (I will go back and update the original post. But the score line was still off a hair. But since it is going to be painted it isnā€™t a huge deal since the outside line was perfect. :slight_smile: THANK YOU!

1 Like