Problem using low power settings

Well, now I feel like I really AM going crazy. I just now tried my settings again and could not, for the life of me, duplicate what it did last night. Mine too, reset itself at 0.010…and wouldn’t accept anything else I tried.

@rpegg…does yours show an extra zero on the end of that? or is it just 0.01?

I have proof that I wasn’t seeing things last night;

Everything I was testing last night worked just fine, but it’s like some kind of grownup toy…

“here’s a cool machine…we’re not sure what settings you should use, but just put some in and we’ll randomly change them as we see fit. And, the settings are going to look different for all your friends too, so they won’t be able to help you, either.” :smile: Ha ha!

Going to copy / paste my comments to support. Thanks all!

4 Likes

I have the extra zero down to the thousandths. But that’s because you can sucessfully enter anything over 0.010" including 0.011".

2 Likes

Things are going to be changing for a while, especially for those of us with PRU units. (We’re special!) :grinning:

3 Likes

Am I wrong with my maths when I think… 0.009… is 9/1000… but 0.090 is 90 /1000 or some may say 9/100… but… when things are measured in thousandths the math gets figured by thousandths instead of one hundredths thereby smaller increments.

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t bother going into detail about settings in that leather tooling write up. My settings/results changed dramatically within a 7 day period, so the best advice I could give was basically “shoot for a lighter shade”. I think that eventually, settings will level out to be fairly consistent. For the time being, they’re a moving target … and that probably goes double for PRU users.

2 Likes

Your card stock test is what I would call a “happy accident.” I have a ton of ideas of how I could use that effect for projects. Nifty!

2 Likes

Well, hello, Bob Ross! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When I grow up I want to be Bob Ross and paint happy trees.

7 Likes

Sooo, I found this thread and tried to engrave some paper. It is 140lb water colour paper, but no matter what I do I end up with burnt holes. Here are the settings I tried:

Focus Height: 0.010"
LPI: 225 (Then 195–>125–>75[75 gave me thin lines all the way through and thin lines of paper tenuously hanging on])
Power: 1%
Speed: 335 (Then 300–>500–>1000)

None of these in combination are working. I also tried to use a thinner card stock with similar experimental numbers and still burned through…is there just something wrong with my Glowforge? Before this I was using it on acrylic and it would burn through the proofgrade acrylic when trying to do an HD engrave (the preset), but I just adjusted the settings and it was fine. Is my machines laser too strong??? T-T Thank you for your help and sorry for your troubles. (pictures below)

Sounds like it’s overpowering. I use 1000/10 or even 15 for engraving 110lb cardstock and 500/45 for cutting. You might want to email support or post in Problems & Support.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’ll contact support to see what I can do. I really hope I don’t have to send it back :confused: I should have realized something was wrong when the HD engrave setting on my proofgrade acrylic was just a melted hole :frowning:

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!