Problem with engraving

I am trying to engrave an item and it has been done by other people. But when I do it it calculates for 10 mins and then gives me error code. It’s the same issue that When Geeks Crafts has and they were trying to help me but still doesn’t work. I even hooked up my laptop with an Ethernet cord.

I would suspect it has something to do with the file. Do you have a link to a post or are you able to share the file?

1 Like

What did you hook it to? The GF doesn’t have an ethernet port.

What is the error code you’re getting?

here is the file and I hooked my ethernet to my laptop because other people got it to work that way.

Tapestry.pdf (1.79 MB)

I would suspect it has to do with the file, the engrave section is quite complex having just under 110,000 nodes. I would suggest if you use inkscape to export the engrave portion as a png at a pretty high dpi. I tested it at 960dpi and was able to get it to upload correctly and allow it to print. I can’t rule out you having wifi issues but i was able to get it to work that way. I tried with the original file and it was very very slow to even move it around on the bed let alone have it sent to print.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help @geek2nurse and @primal_healer.

@primal_healer is right, this image is too complex to be processed. This occurs very rarely, and it usually happens when a file is converted from another format. For example, it can occur if a raster file is converted to vector format with the precision set too high.

I agree that you should try exporting the engrave portion as a PNG.

Since your file also includes cut lines, JPG and PNG files can only be used to engrave, here’s a quick tutorial on how to create a shape to cut. If you’d like a little more depth, we have a longer tutorial that walks you through creating a design so you can see how to create a file with cuts in it. It includes step by step instructions and illustrations, including how to use Inkscape, a free design program, to create shapes for cutting.

Please try out the tutorial and let us know if it doesn’t work to get you cutting!

3 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.