Problems beyond belief

I am having issues beyond belief and have gone back and forth with Tech support via EMAIL for weeks and still no resolution. Does anyone have any of these issues now or in the past?

To start…. The app (Glowforge site) goes offline ALL THE TIME. I literally can’t get anything done….if it happens to go offline before I notice and I send a job to the GF….That’s it my cutting board/other materials are ruin because the design is off. I have wasted so much material it’s crazy.

I have done all the trouble shooting tips listed on the site…. More than a few times… tech support gives me the same steps on the site that I already mention in my ticket that I have done. I have cleaned every inch of this machine and went as far as to replace the air assist. In order to get anything done I literally must turn my machine off…get my file ready turn the machine on and refresh and send just to get it to work.
But now… it’s decided to continually give me the message…”oh something went wrong refresh your screen” over and over again. I mean this is crazy.

I have had Comcast here at the house 4 times to see if it’s the internet cause the GF continues to go offline. I went as far as changing to AT&T fiber optic cable…everything in my house works fabulous…except the GF

Let’s add that the GF sight is so SLOW…with EVERY file…even the simplest file and I am paying for the so call FAST service. Now all I am getting is the non-responsive message and Oh something went wrong message. I have turned off everything and still the same. I even tried from my phone and still can’t do anything. PLEASE help me.

I would really have to suspect your Glowforge’s wifi connection to your router. You may have interference issues from some nearby equipment or possibly a neighbors wifi. Try temporarily moving your Glowforge close to your router.

3 Likes

I see you are frustrated. Would you mind expanding on the following:

So is your internet going down or when you say that the site is going offline then do you mean the circle that normal might say Ready is now saying “offline”? You can check the status of the glowforge site and it is not showing as going offline often. Rather, the machine might be showing up offline, which is different then the site itself going offline.

What do you mean the design is off? Once the file is sent to the GF it won’t matter if it goes offline then. Also, if it goes offline while uploading then it would fail the upload or it would take longer. When you say the design is off then I suspect it actually is that you are not correctly setting focus on the item.

Can you explain why this was done? The air assist would not effect the ability for the machine to accurately place a design. I worry I am missing something with trying to understand the case you have set out.

So this is why I am thinking it might have to do with setting focus……are you using auto focus or manually setting focus.

I am paying for the fast one and it is fast. I wonder if the capability of your internet is limiting you.

5 Likes

We already moved the router to the same room as the GF. I had Comcast come out and did some testing and all was well. I even went to the point and had ATT Fiber come out on Saturday and even with fiber Internet the issue is still the same.

I thought it might be the internet even after having Comcast come out 4 times…so last week I went and signed up for ATT Fiber had it installed on Saturday and the issue is the same.

I replaced the air assist because I was having issue with cutting so I had it on hand so thought to try…this was on top of everything else. All this started a few week ago or maybe it’s been a month now…that Glowforge was having an issue with the offline…this is when mine started and has not stopped even after they claim it’s been fixed.

I do the the three vertical dots and set focus…but right now if i do it… I end up with the message that their is an issue and to refresh my screen. I have not turned off the Comcast service yet, just in case. I switch over to Comcast internet and still I am getting the same issue.

Once the design is sent over to the GF it will not print where it shows on the screen its totally off. I have done the camera test and also recalibrated all is well with the test…but when I print it goes off. At times I catch it go from online to offline in the upper right corner.

So your replacement of the assist was not in attempt for the offline issue, correct? That is fine, just trying to understand the scope of the issue.

What issues were you having with cutting where support felt the replacement of assist would be needed? Or was it the whole carriage plate that was replaced?

If you have pictures of your print head and lens then that might be helpful to post. As well as what it looks like in the app when you gives you that error.

1 Like

I’m no expert with the Glowforge, but I do have IT experience. It does sound a lot like a WiFi connection bug where the signal is being dropped or interfered with by something. Generally dropped signals are usually due to a bad receiver or a frequency interference from another wireless device.

Suggest that you first check to see if another wireless device could be causing interference between your router and the Glowforge and you may want to test is the WiFi receiver in your Glowforge (if that is possible).

While the WiFi is strong from your service, that does not mean the signal is being received and processed accurately within the Glowforge equipment, which would signal you to refresh so it can try to pick the signal up again.

5 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the ongoing trouble @faveroc4.

My colleague Ivan responded to your email request on Tuesday, I wanted to make sure you received it. To simplify our communication going forward, would you prefer to work through this forum thread, or through your email request?

Here is the response we sent on Tuesday:

Did you happen to have a moment to find one of the SVGs that has been processing slowly in the app as an example? If so, would you be willing to send it to me so that I can run a few tests with it on my end?

Regarding your Glowforge going offline, if you haven’t already, one test you could try would be to create a Wi-Fi hotspot with a cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot using a cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.

2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.

3. Go to setup.glowforge.com and then follow the steps to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. When prompted to connect, select the hotspot you created.

4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

To see the Wi-Fi setup process in more detail, go to Connect Your Glowforge to WiFi.

If using the Hotspot works, this would be a sign that your Glowforge is working as expected. I’d also like to take a look at the environment your Glowforge is set up in. While rare, there can sometimes be things in the physical environment around the Glowforge that can create signal interference. May I have a few photos of the Glowforge and the area surrounding it?

Regarding prints not landing where they’re shown in the app, I looked through the logs and found a recent example where it appeared to be misaligned. During that print, it looks like the red dot used to measure the material height landed on the crumb tray through a hole cut in the board that was being used. Before running a print, it may help to use Set Focus and then watch the red dot land on the material to double-check that it doesn’t miss the material or hit an edge.

If you have another print soon that is off by more than 1/4", please let me know the date and time the print ran. I’ll be happy to locate the logs and take a closer look!

No it not. I have no resolution. I sent you the file and that’s not just my problem. Now I am totally offline when I was just working yesterday. Can someone please call me. This back and forth email is a waste.

CristinaSent from my iPhone

On Nov 28, 2021, at 12:03 PM, Glowforge <support@glowforge.zendesk.com> wrote:

I’m sorry for the frustration, and our team will be happy to find a way for us to better connect so we can work on troubleshooting together. I’ve reached out to you via email so that you can share your preferred phone number privately and we can find a time for one of our team members to give you a call.

It looks like some of our emails may have not reached you. Could you please check your inbox and spam filter, and let me know if you received the email I sent you today at 3:19pm Pacific time? Then, you and I can work together in that email conversation to set up a time to troubleshoot via phone.

Would be a good idea to provide your phone number by email with the support people…this is a public forum and you might get unwanted results by posting your number on here.

3 Likes

oops, thought that was what I was doing via email. Thanks for letting me know…had no idea.

Thank you for letting us know that you received our email, and that it will work for us to reach out via phone today! I’m going to close this forum thread and I’ll follow up with you via email to let you know what time to expect a call.