Problems turning my GF on

Hi, I just got my GF setup a few days ago. Since them I have to frequently unplug from the back of the machine several times, in order to get the switch to turn the machine on. Once its on and I leave it on it works fine. The second I shut it down for a bit, and try to turn it back on it doesn’t turn on. I also have to frequently reconnect setup to the wifi. Please help, I just got the machine and LOVE it I dont want to have to give it back!!

1 Like

Is the plug or socket loose? That could be a fire hazard.

1 Like

No it’s not, and actually no matter how many times I unplug it (from back Of machine) and back in still doesn’t help. I just have to turn the switch on and off a few times until I get lucky.

1 Like

Ah, got it. Well, Glowforge support will be along soon. My prediction is that they’ll want to replace the machine, since it sounds like you have a bad start up circuit in the power supply, and that isn’t a user replaceable part. But that’s just my educated guess, so maybe it’s solvable.

2 Likes

ugh I hope not :frowning: thanks!

it keeps getting stuck in the “homing” phase

Is this getting stuck in homing different than your not turning on problem? Sometimes GF receives updates when it’s turned on and you just need to give it a few minutes to do it’s thing.

It’s doing both. Finally when i do get it turned on. It gets stuck in homing i leave it for awhile and nothing. I have to turn it back off and try again

So on the homing issue here’s a post with a whole list of instructions of things to try. It may feel like you’ve tested some of these, but do them all in order making sure to do all the steps - that way when a staff member gets here they will be able to skip over a section and hopefully get you up and running faster!

I still think there’s probably an issue with your power switch, but once you do get it going it should work!

Hi @jodiferraro80,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m so sorry to hear your new Glowforge is having trouble powering on. We will do everything we can to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Based on your description, I agree with @chris1, it does sound as though the switch might be the trouble. One other thing we can check is that the power cord itself has no damage and is fully inserted into the back of the unit.

Please do the following:

1. Unplug your Glowforge from the wall
  2. Inspect both ends of the power cord; if you notice any damage please send me a photo.
  3. If the power cord looks good, plug in the end of the power cord that goes to the Glowforge, making sure it is inserted all the way. We want to confirm it is making full contact.

If the power cord looks good, then the next step would be a warranty replacement of your unit. Please let me know what you find. Thank you!

Hi, yes the power cord both ends looks fine to me. Please let me know the next steps. I am incredibly disappointed in the fact that I will have to send this machine back which is not easy to do and WAIT for a new one? Please tell me that is not the case.

@jodiferraro80, thank you for checking the power cord for me. Since the cord is in good shape, then unfortunately the issue does look to be with the power switch which cannot be repaired remotely. We will need to make a warranty replacement.

Since we will need to discuss account information, I am going to move our conversation over to email and close this thread.

You should see an email from me in just a few moments with next steps. If you don’t see the email shortly, please check your spam folder.

Thank you.