Problems with dark blue acrylic

I engraved a file of words onto a thick dark blue acrylic. It didn’t show up very well but someone suggested using acrylic paint to highlight the words so was planning on doing that. However, now that the paper is all peeled off I am noticing a whole bunch of very fine scratches on the acrylic surface! Has anyone noticed that the acrylic is extremely easy to scratch or did I just get a piece that was already scratched under the masking?

How did you take the masking off? I’ve never had any that came scratched, but yeah, it is pretty easy to scratch, especially if you used something metal for weeding. I like to use plastic razorblades – they won’t scratch the surface.

1 Like

We used duct tape and some fingernails around the letters. However, the scratches are mostly in areas that are not engraved. Surely the duck tape wouldn’t scratch it, would it?

I wouldn’t think so. You didn’t use alcohol to clean it, did you? That will cause tiny cracks.

4 Likes

Bingo - that’s it! My daughter used alcohol to take the glue off. Thank you so much for helping me figure this out!! Saved a lot of heart ache in the future.

6 Likes

Not only will alcohol cause a problem, but just rubbing with a paper towel can scratch it.

4 Likes

What is the best thing to use to get the left over glue residue off of the acrylic?

The plexiglass assn recommends naptha (available at hardware and paint stores). I use it, and it works great. Just be sure and wear gloves & use it in a well ventilated area!

4 Likes

I have been using Hand sanitizer that is no isopropyl alcohol and never seen a problem. Chemistry makes a difference,

I use warm water, dawn dishwasher soap and a fingernail brush. It has never scratched the acrylic an works well for me. :grinning:

AKA lighter fluid :slightly_smiling_face:

(Also what fire eaters use to blow fire. :yum:)

I knew about the lighter fluid, but didn’t know fire breathers used it. I can’t imagine putting that stuff in my mouth!

I avoid glue residue at all costs. I make the mistake of using gorilla tape to remove acrylic masking ONCE. Never again.

I’ve had decent luck with WD40 (as recommended by a company that makes acrylic furniture).

Wow - sounds strong. Thanks for the suggestion. :wink:

Oh good! I think I’ll try this one first!! Thanks :slight_smile:

Ahhhh…fire breathing 101. Gotcha :wink:

I’ve got some of that around so I’ll give it a go. Thanks!

Rule #1 - don’t swallow :yum:

Rule #2 - beards & mustaches get in the way

Rule #3 - girls don’t dig naptha breath :wink:

If you’re going to do it, you want to use Coleman Fuel instead of those little tins of lighter fluid.

2 Likes

Darn. I have a beard.

2 Likes

Me too (mustache & goatee). It’s just an extra hazard. If you spill while drinking (hold it in your mouth) it can catch fire. You need to not dribble :slightly_smiling_face:

And when you spray it out of your mouth you have to really blow hard so it’s well away from your mouth as you light the spray.

I had a misspent youth :smiley: Besides playing with fire I also ran with scissors.

4 Likes