Production Unit IS in USE!

ugh. you’ve got me beat. I don’t envy you.

We were out at our vacation rental home in Palm Springs for a long weekend and it was 120 there on Monday. I’ll have to get a read on how hot the concrete is when we are back out there this weekend - although it’s “only” going to be 115…

1:15pm… Air temp is 115 degrees. We’re supposed to push 120 again today. But the heat gain in the pavement since my last post an hour ago?? Whoa!

4 Likes

well don’t set your PLA model down on that.

4 Likes

I built a solar concentrator once that boiled water with surprising efficiency. You don’t seem to need the concentrator :joy: all though I bet you’re just a handful of mirrors away from a death ray today

4 Likes

What’s with all the replies? Where did the shunning go? :grinning::rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, the sunlight here is intense, no need to concentrate it any more than it already is, hahaha! Although I have to wonder what it really could do out here. :wink: I have some friends that are into cooking with solar ovens and word is, they work pretty fast here. :smiley:

1 Like

I think you’re the first to share that particular message. Now I have to rethink my GF location (or make a swamp cooler!)

I think it’s less about what it can do and more about what you want to do with it. And how many mirrors you’re willing to buy. All we did for the one I made was very gingerly smooth aluminum foil onto some construction paper and then glue it to some ribs we made to give them a parabolic arc. Cost like five bucks and an hours work. You could make a hot tub. Solar steam engine. Death ray. Did I mention the death ray potential?

1 Like

Yea, that’s the game you never want to win :confused:

3 Likes

We’re only at 103 here today, and a nice little warm breeze picked up.

Dashboard:

3 Likes

I see, I see. Quick proof of concept…

6 Likes

This is a very good word. I’ll have to remember to use it. :relaxed:

When I was in high school my boss’s dad wanted me to attend the University of Minnesota where he was a mechanical engineering professor. He gave me a personal tour and they had a solar concentrator made up of many little (say 1 inch across) mirrors. In the center there was a thick sheet of metal with a hole burned through it. It was a sunny day and I wanted to see it in action, but sadly no brilliant-white-light-joy that day.

2 Likes

Received the Starter Kit of ProofGrade materials today, toasty! This is straight off the UPS truck, sat in the shade by my front door for about 8 seconds before I scooped it up.

I might have to let the Glowforge sit for a while to cool down before I can even turn it on the first time!!

14 Likes

Just go to IKEA. Take it for what it’s worth, but here is a post I ran across.

I want one, or a dozen.

http://mashable.com/2017/06/22/ikea-bowl-setting-stuff-on-fire/#eN.zrBg_9EqX

15 Likes

I am soooo envious and bummed at the same time. I got my letter for delivery and I need to postpone it because I won’t be able to use it without the filter. Congratulations!

5 Likes

When did you get your email?

1 Like

Yesterday, July 11th.

4 Likes

Bummer! Nowhere to use it outside even once in a while? What type of unit did you get and when did you order?