Progress on the resin tree

Gorgeous.

1 Like

Here’s some fun fillers I have tried:

shredded gold leaf
tiny beads
coarse and fine glitter
PearlEx mica powder
ground up semiprecious stones (malachite, turquoise, lapis, etc)
mother of pearl
bits of fine wire

Really, the sky’s the limit!

11 Likes

WOW!:+1::grinning::star_struck:

1 Like

Beautiful work! A question about the food colouring - it is in gel form or is it the liquid that you get in the grocery store? Sounds like gel from how you describe it, but thought i would ask. Perhaps you could pass the brand name? Thanks!

Me either Xabbess! (My husband cannot believe there is some craft I have not tried and don’t have a bazillion supplies for. I could open an art supply store lol.) Based on theresa’a amazing work, I think we need to give it a try at least dontcha think?

8 Likes

This is so beautiful and inspirational! Dang it, now I need to research resins and figure a way to sneak more art supplies into the house unnoticed. The only drawback is the 24hrs cure times. I am soooo impatient and always end up screwing things up by not letting them dry/cure/harden lol.

5 Likes

Very nice!

Seems like it would be very hard to ensure no epoxy is squeezed out from under the wood and onto the backing. Looks like your resin is translucent, not crystal clear, so I assume this masks any escaped epoxy?

1 Like

One word - BEAUTIFUL!

1 Like

So many things I never even heard of before. Beautiful and inspirational work!

2 Likes

Oh, good question! I used both. I had the basic color set in traditional liquid and a pastel set in gel. The gel did blend much quicker than the liquid.

1 Like

A little squeezed out in spite of my best efforts, but it was clear epoxy that blended in with the first layer of clear casting resin I added. I was worried about that, but it all worked out beautifully!

I bet this will be amazing back-lit!

1 Like

Stunning, so creative and imaginative…

1 Like

Whoa! It looked good just as the silhouette, but now, it looks REALLY good!

1 Like

I wish I could like this twice! Stunning!

1 Like

Just fantastic. I love everything about it. I really want to try my hand at this when I get some time. I just ordered some artresin and mica powder. Hoping to try it out this weekend.

1 Like

I think you and me…birds of a feather! While I was waiting for my Glowforge I spent all sorts of money on my embossing powders and necessary tools, adhesive, etc…then the foil stuff, and on and on. Now, I’ve got all that stuff and seldom use it anymore because it was replaced by Glowria. So, now the challenge is to use it all in conjunction with the laser.

6 Likes

WOW. Thats absolutely beautiful and totally awesome!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I mentioned this earlier, but this is also perfect if you know anyone needing a home nebulizer. The medicine comes in polyethylene tubes that are perfect one use eyedroppers and as the medicine is very volatile it does not get into what you are doing There is the tiny nozzle at one end and a flat tab at the other also useful for spreading the liquid about.

If someone is using two or three vials a day for asthma or COPD they build up fast. A doctors office might use a dozen a day if you could get them.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! Another question - so there are three layers of resin. Why start with clear? Conor control? It would seem the piece of acrylic would be a good enough starter seal. No?

1 Like