Proof grade leather masking

Has anyone else used the leather that came in the sample box? It took considerable work to get off some small necklace work I made, and in some cases at the edges took the face of the leather with it. Gorilla tape had no effect.

From what I can tell, this is the general experience with the leather masking. I generally remove it before doing complicated engraving to avoid weeding. I suspect a little water might help the adhesive release.

4 Likes

I’ve read someone removes it, then re-applies it. Then engraves. So its not as sticky.

2 Likes

After my couple of encounters with the PG leather in the sample kit I’ve determined that either a blowtorch, flame thrower, or TNT would be less trouble and more satisfying than trying to peel it off.

Your mileage may vary :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I haven’t gone back and tried water. But, I’m thinking to pitch the GF leather, go to tandy and start again with my own masking.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking of the same approach you described for my next foray into leather. There are people that have been able to work with the PG leather though, so maybe we just got a “bad” batch.

If nothing else, I’m cutting the thin leather into straps for ID tags and the like. 6 inches long by a 1/4 to 5/16 inch wide with a slit down the middle makes a good loop for airline tags, ID tags, etc. and I don’t care if the masking comes off or stays on them.

2 Likes

Warm water was the secret weapon.

3 Likes

:rofl::+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’ll make sure it’s passed on to the team.