ProofGrade Projects and Pre-Release: Glow-:glowforge: Earrings and luggage tags

Is this a prerequisite to getting picked for the Beta / Pre-release program? Is to own a cat?
If so- I’m screwed.

11 Likes

Oh crap! I’ve 7 dogs… 5 where just born like last week do you think it would persuade them into choosing me??

26 Likes

My sister’s dog sadly has a death toll that includes a cat a few years ago. I’m pretty sure that probably means I have to give a beta to glowforge.

3 Likes

These are lovely! Thanks for showing us Proofgrade results and entertaining us with cat funniness (though @jrnelson and @dan_berry win the internet for cat funniness today).

7 Likes

I might be able to loan you one…

I was mostly just messing around. That clay stuff sounds pretty cool though! I wonder if it’s the same kind of clay stuff that this machine uses…

5 Likes

Wow! I’ve never seen that one before! It seems amazing!
I was talking about something like this…

3 Likes

:astonished:
PUPPIES!!!
What kind of dog are they?

Schnauzer the small ones

1 Like

You don’t want to see what happens when I try to prototype something by handwork. It’s either additive or subtractive machines for me.

1 Like

My metalsmith fiancé wonders if the binder would flash burn in a predictable or unpredictable way. Should be fun to try and experience with speed and power.

2 Likes

Not quite sure I understand what you say… sorry :sweat:

Edit: after waking up and re reading your post I just understood hahaha sorry… yeah it would be really cool to see what happens :slight_smile:

I’d really love a clearer explanation of what you mean by this. I keep shifting between positive and negative space. I haven’t measured or taken into account how the kerf would change proportions of the logo. It’s perfect on the computer screen and on an old school laser printer, toner stuff, you know, but haven’t compensated for the kerf in my design. It is something that we will be able to do in the design software, but right now I’m just dragging and dropping, resizing, placing and hitting print. One would think I’d have more examples. Well, weekends are busy for me.

I hope not. Too many dog lovers here that we need to have Glowforges.

They are so cute!

Sacrificing tropical fish?

So they keep selling the Glowforge as being able to scan handwriting. Adam Savage has good drafting skills. You saw my Team Glowforge loopiness. I like computers because they are so much more exact than I can be. Btw, did anyone catch the date format of the plaque for the staff?

12 Likes

Rio Grande sells a lot of different types of pmc (precious metal clay). They are on Bluewater and deliver (at least used to) for free within abq city limits :slight_smile:

1 Like

For others who may not have experience with silver clay, it is silver metal mixed with a binder compound that burns away to leave only silver. Generally it is fired in a kiln after shaping.

3 Likes

Ok, I rushed without explaining properly. For that I am sorry. Imagine taking the walnut logo in the bottom right corner and putting it in a tear shaped walnut outside enclosure and attaching with a walnut bridge. It is all the same piece of walnut, I have just tried to deconstruct the elements thinking it would be easier to explain. Engrave the bridge so that it doesn’t detract from the logo. Make it shallow and wide to allow for strength. Any better?

I thought about it some more and will send a photo which I think illustrates your point. It made me reflect on the work that the design team did so well and then they see my misfit rendition on a Glowforge. It is a printer. It’s what everyone calls it. The objects produced are called prints. But it prints differently from a fuser/drum laser printer and so what you see on the screen in design is different from the printed item. The CAD/CAM difference and generating toolpaths.

2 Likes

Really cool Earrings/Pendants that is what my wife is most excited about me doing with the glowforge. Thanks for posting!

Thanks (running out of likes so I thought I’d speak up.)

Seriously, these things are going to slay them. I’ve given away two pair already. At the risk of forking this thread, I’d say hope I am not runnning afoul of the trademark law. But it is such a cute logo!

I’ve thought about getting an ear pierced ever since I first saw the Glowforge (well, even longer than that) because dangly earings are the bomb!

10 Likes

A Glowforge tie clip sounds cool! Or a hat with a led lit acrylic logo.