Prototyping a Mission Lantern

Happy Friday Eve Everyone!

I spent some time prototyping a new design tonight. I wanted it to look more like the Andon Laterns with through tenons. It has 50 pieces and is completely snap together. I used PG Medium Draftboard for this version. The actual piece will be in Cherry or Walnut and have rice paper behind the screens. It is large enough for a low-wattage light to be inserted. It stands 10.5" high and is 8.5" square.

I have always been a woodworker so for me I like to design things that utilize the same aesthetic as I used in my actual lumber pieces.

I hope you like! I will post the finished piece when I get the wood in to produce it.

Here is a picture of how the through tenons work. I know…I tend to over-engineer. LOL

63 Likes

That’s beautiful! Very nice work. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you. I really like designing puzzles. :joy:

4 Likes

Another masterpiece! Design genius! It feels great to get a design in your head out into the world. Thank you again for showing your work.

5 Likes

Thank You! It’s been rolling around in my head for a couple days. Took about 2 hours to draw the design and fix some things and then bam! Finished piece. I like to have it completely designed in my head before I start drawing. Cuts down on design time. :slight_smile: Nothing feels better.

3 Likes

You need to change your name to design ninja, holy moly, that’s amazing. I work on some small design for a long time, and then the laser starts double cutting and I turn into a combination of the Macaulay Culkin scream, and the Van Gogh scream. :slight_smile:
I love your work!
Also it’s still Thursday here, which means that you are living in the future and have additional future insights.

8 Likes

He is a design ninja! ninja

9 Likes

Looks simple but I know it was not.
Great work.

5 Likes

This looks great, waiting to see the actual finished piece.

4 Likes

Drool! Yes, Design Ninja certainly seems apt here.

3 Likes

You are the design Wizard !

4 Likes

I like the corners and how you have it put together. The details on the panels looks amazing as well.

5 Likes

Lol. Well it is definitely a lot of staring in the distance. My friends think I am crazy half the time. I love Design Ninja. I will have shirts made!!! :blush:

6 Likes

Too kind. Thank you!

1 Like

Trust me. There was a lot of cussing when I put it together. I know draftboard is a little thicker than the PG Ply but I found a couple of things that could be changed.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Thank you! Happy Cake Day!!!

1 Like

Thank you. Not really a wizard I just tend to overthink design. LOL

2 Likes

Thank you! I was actually going for something that didn’t use finger joints. It started out as box in my head. Not sure how I ended up here. LOL

3 Likes

I like how he’s all, well I was thinking about it, then it took a couple of hours to draw, and bam lol.

It takes me a couple of hours to draw a square :rofl:

Seriously though, it’s way cool. How many sheets of draftboard did it take?

9 Likes