Prototyping a Mission Lantern

LOL. I make it sound easy but I really do tend to design the entire thing in my head so can get rid of the things that don’t work. It takes to long to draw stuff out and then have it not work. I use 4 boards. This is a large version so that I can electrify it. I have been trying to figure out how I can shrink it down but the pieces required to keep the legs stable (they are hidden inside the legs) would be way too small.

6 Likes

Ha, welcome to my world! I could not imagine being able to have a 50 piece design in my head :slight_smile:
I like the large version!

5 Likes

I added a picture so you can see the Hidden stuff for the legs. It looks over engineered but I definitely got rid of a few things before this version.

3 Likes

Simply beautiful!

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

I have done that, but if it works at all it is a happy accident (like those hinges that were a total screw-up that happened to work)

4 Likes

I sometimes feel like I lose something not having endless tries at something, like I might have missed a better way. Then like clockwork, 2 months later I will be sitting at dinner and say (out loud) “ooohh I should have done that” everyone just looks at me strange. LOL

6 Likes

Isn’t that how Mozart composed music? I say you are a genius too.

7 Likes

I think that was how he did it. I am always envious of people that can find the easy way to do things. I tend to make them more work because I don’t want to use glue on projects. This really did start with me trying to make a box without (the detested) finger joints. LOL

2 Likes

Ugh!!!
I have to struggle through several iterations (at a minimum) to create something, and you make it look easy. (So there’s some serious envy here. Wish I had that kind of design chops, but I have a hard time getting around the “a box is for holding things” mentality.)

3 Likes

LOL. I tend to want to recreate the wheel. It’s a sickness. I think there might be something wrong with me.

2 Likes

No, I’d say that’s how you get better boxes/wheels. Keep doing it! :smile:

3 Likes

LOL

Am I the only one who hates finger joints?

6 Likes

Nope! I’ll use them for interiors (structure) and occasionally for decorative edging, but I prefer butt joints or mortise and tenon. (Those just take so long to engrave they’re not worth it.) I’m going to start fiddling with connectors one of these days…yours are inspiring.

Have you been doing wood working for a long time?

2 Likes

I (in one of my many jobs) designed and built mission furniture for a company in PA. Then I began doing it for myself. I was actually a Graphic/Web/App Designer for MANY years. Let’s just say I remember Manual Paste-up. LOL

5 Likes

Ah, that does explain the facility you have with it. :smile:
(Gives me a lot to aspire to, so I’ll just look forward to the learning process.)

2 Likes

Well, I am not sure you need to learn that much. Your stuff is amazing!

2 Likes

Oh thanks, that’s very kind, but my stuff tends to be very simple. I really am interested in expanding my capabilities beyond butt and finger joints. (Fortunately, the learning new things part is the part I actually enjoy.)

3 Likes

I get that. I love learning too!

3 Likes

Boy. You know it is a good design when there are 39 replies in nine hours. This is masterful in so many ways.

5 Likes