Prototyping a Mission Lantern

Thank you! But to be honest most of the replies are mine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really nice design! Even when you show how the joints work I have to think about how they’re fitting together. . .

1 Like

That’s still ok. We need to get you into that serial quote thing. Or if you want to be more efficient with a post, just reference their user name and say thanks. They’ll all get notified.

Right @Jules, @cynd11, @ElsieH, @pauline.lally, @pubultrastar, @arh2, @Aloha, @brokendrum, @dklgood, @rbtdanforth?

5 Likes

I keep getting the notification to respond to everyone at once, but I just think that everyone spends the time to comment I should spend the time to answer each one. LOL It’s not the most efficient way but I value the feedback and want people to know that. I have a long way to go on this new fangled computery thingy. :joy:

6 Likes

You do it however you can and what works for you! But keep posting super builds like this!

5 Likes

Thank you! I will eventually make a box without finger joints I promise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish I could design in my head, Aphantasia makes that impossible. Your work is really inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

I am sorry you have to deal with that. :frowning: I cannot imagine the work it must take to envision things. I mean that Cryptex was amazing!!! Thank you for your kind words.

1 Like

It’s very artistic, and nice that you’ll be able to light it up.

My last job was purchasing for a robotic systems company. Worked with a lot of engineers and got to the place that I would know who’s part drawing it was without reading anything. Think we’re all starting to identify your work without seeing your name on the post. Kudos for bringing such a bright light to our forum!

6 Likes

Wow… that is high praise indeed. I might need to rethink my designs so that I don’t bore people. :wink::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Oh no … didn’t mean same-o, same-o… meant your style. You have a lot of style!

5 Likes

LOL I was just kidding. Thank you so much.

Truth be told I get bored of a design easily so I definitely try to up the ante with each build. I get so much inspiration from all the things that are posted here.

3 Likes

When I was in the tech industry, I had that look a lot. My husband recognized by looking at me when I was “coding in my head,” and knew it wouldn’t do any good to try to talk to me right then. :wink:

6 Likes

LOL. I totally get that!

2 Likes

I did that too :slightly_smiling_face:

When I managed projects I kept the project plan in my head (irritated me no end if I was required to use MS Project or something to document it). I knew a project was too complex if I couldn’t keep the whole plan in my head - time to break it up.

4 Likes

I did till I discovered two things, The first was seeing that as the finger joints neared the thickness of the material they went from annoying to nice looking (IMHO) And the second and far more important the strength went way up, especially if glued and pieces that would shatter if they fell on the floor will stand up far better even in daily use.

Puzzles can be fun but if you lose a piece or forget the trick it becomes a pile of parts.

5 Likes

I get that. and having a larger gluing surface definitely increases the strength of the piece. And by puzzles I mean that it takes a lot of pieces to get the look. I certainly don’t expect to take these apart once put together. LOL

1 Like

Taking them apart is not the problem. Putting them together after cats, kids, or butterfingers get them apart would be my concern. :worried:

2 Likes

Ah. I get it.

1 Like

You are such an artist!! All of your work is just beautiful.

Really inspiring. (As I go back to designing my super simple projects, lol.)
:grin:
Martha

5 Likes